Sign in to follow this  

I'm getting those ideas again...

I'm thinking of trading my bike for a fellow TTers 2002 CR250. That is if he wants the trade. I'm almost 6' 150 pounds, ride Northeastern Trails with little airtime. I casually race C250 and am content with my XR. However this has me wondering. What do you guys think, am I stupid, or should I seriously consider it?

This was already has a flywheel weight. I've never been to a track yet. I'm just worried about regrets, I don't know if I want to part with my XR. I love it and like riding the underdog bike. I would love to go ride the bike and try and decide from there but I don't want to bother this guy if I decide I don't want to trade.

Thats what I like to hear, and honest response. I really need to get out and ride it before I can truly decide. I think it would fit me pretty good, just have to get used to the punch. I think the funniest part about it is I feel guilty talking about trading my XR, like I'm committing some kind of sin or something.

From reading all your post about getting the kdx, exc, 125, and now the 250. It seems kinda like if you did get the 250 you would want a 450 after that. Youre kinda like smokin250 in a way. LOL But there is nothing wrong with getting or wanting a new bike. Heck there is a 99 ktm 200exc by me in good condition for $1200. Might get that for the second bike. But like you I like racing the underdog bike so I will always have my 400. I couldnt stand the thought of someone else riding it. But that is just me. In the end, what do you want us to say to get?

When I jumped on my mates 01 CR 250 people started passing me in the tight going. No ones passes me on my XR 250 in the tight.

The CR was awesome in the open going. Hit the band, wound it up the hill waited at the top for a couple of mins til he turned up on my XR.

There are better 2 strokes tho, try a YZ 250

Why not try a 125? it still had more power than the 250 and is a great bike for trails and all, not so heavy too. But im the opposite situation as you, i am riding a cr125 right now, but im moving to a xr250, i ride trails too, no track or anything, so i was thinking of getting a more enjoyable bike, less maintenaince and all.

the cr250's are know to be the worst jap 250 smokers for woods riding..yz or rm is the way to go. btw a cr250 can not hang with a crf450r :D

The biggest reason I even consider this move is suspension. I am in no way a motocrosser, never even been to a track. I just want a plusher ride, I'm thinking I need more sag in the rear and that will help make it softer, less seat bounce, and track easier. I'm going to go do that now, maybe take it for a test ride after.

you'll like the CR250. :D explosive power off the bottom, there is nothing like it. i have switched off of my XR4 to my buds CR250, and its amazing how much more the CR vibrates. i feel the 250 smoker is one the most versatile bikes. it powerful, good suspension, at home on the track and trail. and no valves to worry about! :D

I'm thinking what I really need is a 250F if I were to switch. I think a 250 2 stroke will just end up tiring me out and slowing me down. Problem is I don't fathom the thought of once again trying to sell my bike again and then hunting down a 250F. Oh well, I think I'm going to tell him I decided the bikes too much for me.

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong again

Sorry you just do not know what your talking about.

I would be more then happy to entertain your theory if you can validate what you say with solid validity other then hearsay.

I suggest you do some searching on the 2000-2001 model CR and you will find the YZ and RM did very poor in comparrison and that can easily be backed up with numerous reviews.

My bet is you have never even saddled a 2000 or 2001 CR. :D

In closing to DS I suggest you take the time and ride as many bikes you have talked about.

Its obvious you like your XR but, want more.

I must be honest and say if I where not riding with my son I would have to choose a CR or the like over bikes I have owned like the KDX, KLX and XR simply for the factor of fun.

After all isn't fun why we ride in the first place?

sorry just because you have a cr250 does not mean i am wrong. in every single article i have ever read about converting jap 250 smokers to woods racing bikes they have always got the worst reviews due to a unforgiving frame and having vitually no bottom end/mid range power in comparison to the other jap bikes. and yes i have ridden a few cr250's ..have you ever seen anyone win a gncc on a cr250?? they are great mx bikes but they suck for east coast woods bikes imo

I rode a 01 cr250 last year in the sand and it was pretty fun for the first 15 minutes than I wanted back on my xr400. True the cr250s prior to 02 was pretty good minus the 05 that is suppose to be the best cr250 yet. But for offroad I agree with the other people having the yz the better offroad racer. But back to dirtsquirt, youre going to have to revalve and respring the suspension front and rear to soften it for you as it would be must to stiff. Ever thought of a xr400. Sounds like the perfect bike for you. As long as youre not a girl and complain it weighs to much for you.

i feel the 250 smoker is one the most versatile bikes:

Most versatile, I think not. You have to remember that this is a motocross bike. The first thing you have to think about is how far you ride. A CR 250 has a very short fuel range of 40-60 miles. My buddy on his 250 E/XC is always carrying a 1 gallon gas tank in his backpack on longer rides which is a pain. :D Next is the close ratio transmission. The 1st gear is too high for technical trails and the final gear is to low for open riding. The CR has a light flywheel so you have to clutch it a lot or you stall at low speeds. You could put a "heavy" 12 ounce flywheel for woods but that isn’t much of a flywheel considering that the XR has a flywheel weight of 3-5 pounds! Then you don’t have a headlight and are always revving the crap out of it to go. Sure revving is fun but for an all day ride I would take a 4 stroke anytime. A big pain having a 2 stroke is that it is very sensitive to altitude. A CR 250 is a very fast bike but when its at 9,000 feet its bogging bad. Having a 2 Stroke is another problem in CA since red stickered bikes are limited to where they can ride parts of the year.

A 2 Stroke is a lot of fun to play around with but is not a great trail companion IMO. If you really want a off road 2 stroke get a E/XC 250 which has a bigger tank, wide ratio gear box, headlight, and heavier flywheel.

Most versatile, I think not. You have to remember that this is a motocross bike. The first thing you have to think about is how far you ride. A CR 250 has a very short fuel range of 40-60 miles. My buddy on his 250 E/XC is always carrying a 1 gallon gas tank in his backpack on longer rides which is a pain. :D Next is the close ratio transmission. The 1st gear is too high for technical trails and the final gear is to low for open riding. The CR has a light flywheel so you have to clutch it a lot or you stall at low speeds. You could put a "heavy" 12 ounce flywheel for woods but that isn’t much of a flywheel considering that the XR has a flywheel weight of 3-5 pounds! Then you don’t have a headlight and are always revving the crap out of it to go. Sure revving is fun but for an all day ride I would take a 4 stroke anytime. A big pain having a 2 stroke is that it is very sensitive to altitude. A CR 250 is a very fast bike but when its at 9,000 feet its bogging bad. Having a 2 Stroke is another problem in CA since red stickered bikes are limited to where they can ride parts of the year.

A 2 Stroke is a lot of fun to play around with but is not a great trail companion IMO. If you really want a off road 2 stroke get a E/XC 250 which has a bigger tank, wide ratio gear box, headlight, and heavier flywheel.

ok so in your opinion what is the most versitile bike?

my point is that when you consider EVERYTHING (engine maintainence,power,weight,track ability,trail ability, suspension) you cant beat a 250 smoker. sure a CRFX might excel in the fact that its a 4 stroke...but valves etc wieght etc...not so good. i've taken my xr400 to the track and its not so good over the jumps....... :D

I agree with mar that the 250 smoker is the best all around bike you can get. You can take it and race at just about every racing event and still have a good trail bike. My next bike is going to be a 200,250, or 300exc. I think those are the best bikes for the type of riding I do, next to my xr400 that is.

Just ride what feels best to you :D We all have our preferences and there are not any "bad" bikes. Each make has a certain niche and where they lack in one area they excel in another. With all the aftermarket "stuff" out today you can bring any bike up to speed where you think it needs help. I recently road a 2000 Honda CR250 in some rocky, rooted, tight, terrain and to be quite honest it sucked :D and I consider myself to be dedicated to Honda. The power was great, but the bike just felt uptight to me.The owner can rip on the same bike in the same terrain and loves his bike. Ride what feels good and ride what you like :D

DS is obviously not content with his XR after seeing all his posts about getting a different bike. However, he is in denial of this fact and refuses to admit it. What he really needs is one of the following: A WR250, a 200EXC, or a CRF250X. He complains about the amount of maintenence needed for a 250f, although I have proven to him that they don't require as much as he says they do. He needs to stop hemming and hawing and just get one of those three.

Out of those I would go with the 200exc. Lightest, most power, easiest and cheapest to work on. If I was him I would put the 280 kit in his bike and he would be in love all over again.

I was simply offering the kid what i thought was good advice. i've been on the forum for a bit now and everytime somebody says something that contradicts your opinion. you go overboard with the quote option and jump down thier throat. like i said i was just trying to give the kid good advice. btw western ny and ohio..is NOTHING like eastcoast woods riding. dirtsquirt if you go to a smoker get a ktm 200exc you wont regret it.