Sign in to follow this  

drz hates water

every time i go through water my drz starts missing,i have rerouted two of the hoses under the seat put it did the same thing today,the steam that comes of must be getting in the plug boot or something electrical,after a while it will go back to normal,this sucks because it has rained every other day and water holes are everywere,starting to have second thoughts about this machine. :D

every time i go through water my drz starts missing,i have rerouted two of the hoses under the seat put it did the same thing today,the steam that comes of must be getting in the plug boot or something electrical,after a while it will go back to normal,this sucks because it has rained every other day and water holes are everywere,starting to have second thoughts about this machine. :D

Well, I guess you don't define "water"...I mean if you're stickin' the engine under water that may be your problem :D However if you are just hitting hub deep mud puddles then I would start checking all electric connections. Use some contact cleaner...look at your plug wire to make sure the insulation is not cracked...It sounds like some kind of electrical short to me because when it dries out you state it runs fine. Is the plug still in the bottom of your air box? Good luck :D

Do the end of your vent hoses split? If not do so and it may help your problem. If the hose is just cut straight off then a little water bubble can get in there and surface tension will not allow air to vent out.

Which carb? Did you take one hose from each side if it is an fcr? Or just two from the same side?

My DRZ doesn't seem to mind water, up to about 18 inches.

But the rider is not so keen. :eek::eek::D

If God had intended me to get wet, he would have given me

Fins, Scales and Gills. :D:D

Neil. :D:eek:

my 3x3 mod'd S went thru this...

http://www.eheimbach.com/Andrew%20mudhole%20clip.wmv

no problem... video clip is Andrew's (OSITECH) S (slightly modified :D)... water is probably between 18 and 24 (maybe more)? His airbox is more open than mine... his number plate has custom venting to airbox and he had no worries after the mudr.

COOL MUD HOLE THATS WHAT I NEED MINE TO DO,yes i vented one from each side of my fcr,the vent tube from the pump is the only one i did not do.i am thinking electrical too because after 15 or 20 minutes it starts running fine again,will pull the tank off and see what i can do,bike would be perfect if i had this problem fixed.yes the ends are split.

i went thru some water in the wash a couple weeks ago that was almost to the bottom of the tank. obviously went through very slow, but traction on the bottom was not a problem. I WISH I HAD A CAMERA FOR THAT!

I'm in the habit of spraying everything elect.,on my bikes and cars, with silicon or teflon spray. So far I've never had a moisture related problem.

My DRZ never had an issue with deep water, almost up to the seat was no problem.

OK heres what i have found and will re-water test this weekend,it seem that the problem was the steam coming from the hot parts and the bike would start skipping,i removed the coil to inspect and then noticed the rubber hose around the wire should be pushed up and connected around the coil to protect it,the hose must of got pulled off during a plug change,anyway i will silicone it to the coil so it can't slide down anymore,theres a nice little gap there for the steam to get in,what do you think?

drz 400-e

GA tag

unabiker

advanced jetting

etc.

OK heres what i have found and will re-water test this weekend,it seem that the problem was the steam coming from the hot parts and the bike would start skipping,i removed the coil to inspect and then noticed the rubber hose around the wire should be pushed up and connected around the coil to protect it,the hose must of got pulled off during a plug change,anyway i will silicone it to the coil so it can't slide down anymore,theres a nice little gap there for the steam to get in,what do you think?

drz 400-e

GA tag

unabiker

advanced jetting

etc.

i bet you've fixed her... come on up to virginia and we can hit the mudhole in ashburn :D

im sure u'll find out soon enuf... have fun. :D

feel real good that this was my problem,something everybody should check,tring to plan a trip to Hatfield-McCoy Trail System as we speak are you anywhere near their?

Kind of unrelated, although I haven't had any water crossing problems with my 'DRZ-E'. I am quite impressed with my friend's KTM exc250 for trail riding in the seattle to leavenworth area. Are you happy with the conversion?

feel real good that this was my problem,something everybody should check,tring to plan a trip to Hatfield-McCoy Trail System as we speak are you anywhere near their?

Nah, I think the HMTS is about 4 hours from me... I'm in Northern VA.

;-)

Tom

Don't tell me our bikes can't do what this stinkin' Beemer does!!!

bmwinh2o0vp.jpg

Nice pics! :D

I must give BMW their props, impressive. With the proper rear tire, a DR-Z would handle the same water hazard with no problem. :D

Oh man...In that one photo...Water would be getting pretty darned

near entering the 3x3 airbox mod...

problem solved,make sure the coil is covered by the hose that is on the spark plug wire,bike runs better than ever.

drz-400e

advanced jetting

unbiker

GA tag

etc.

Wipe some dielectric grease around and in it and it will help keep the water out.