Sign in to follow this  

Woods gearing on 250X???

Whats everyone running for sprockets on their 250X? I have an '04 with a TR270 kit on it. I am running the stock 14/53. I ride mostly singletrack. Any recommendations?

zgw8

zgw8

I recently went with the 270 kit as well and am still running the 13/52 set-up I had switched to a few months ago. I was thinking about going back to 14/52, but haven't made the move yet. What direction are you thinking about going? I'm still happy with the 13/52, but am wondering if I can get a little more top speed back, without sacrificing power in the tight stuff, now that I have the extra bottom end the 270 kit provides.

Enterprise

13/51, its a touch lower than stock but not to low. No need to go much lower because with the 270 kit you should have more torque to pull the gear.

I have the TR270 kit and just bought a 51 for the rear. Has anyone else tried the 14/51 combo? Results?

Thanks,

Derik

I'm running 14/51 on my X. The only engine mods I have are a Dr. D. pipe and a hot cam. I really like the 51 Tag I have on the rear. It makes 1st longer and more usable without losing too much low end. Now I can cruise the fireroads in 4th. I only use 5th over 45-50mph. It's like having OD on a bike!

I top out with the stock gearing at about 58 mph. I don't want to go any lower. After reading the above, I think I'll stick with stock.

I still have stock, however will be changing to 14/48 or 14/50 (currently have 14/53) to get some more top end. I feel like I run out of gears a bit too fast.

I want the best of both worlds. I ride a street bike and shift into 2nd around 45 mph without really beating on it. So 5th gear on my X feels like I am barely moving. But when I am in the woods I sometimes want a little lower gear to thump along like I used to on the XR. Perhaps a 270 kit is in the future?

Based on my experience, for woods, enduros, hare scrambles, etc. stock is best. First is plently low unless you are doing trials type stuff all day. Honda knew what they were doing.

Kirk

14/51 with the 270 is a sweet set up for most riding. Drop back to 13/51 for tight stuff and MX

I dropped one tooth on the front sprocket (12) since I do a lot of technical riding. I've only topped it out a few times...it's a good compromise for me and I don't have to abuse the clutch as much.

I changed mine to 13/50 but thinking of going to 13/51, but then I'm playing around with MX so the lower gearing helps overcome the wide ratio tranny. If I need to, I'll just change it to 13/49 (3.76:1) for more speed as it is roughly the same ratio as 14/53 (3.78:1).