RMZ comes unglued

Yeah you heard it right my RMZ came unglued, but it was a freak thing and not an issue with the timming chain or auto decomp. There is a thin thrust washer behind the clutch basket or hub that some how came apart and got in between the hub gear and the crankshaft idler pulley and well it busted the case and did about $2000. worth of damage. :D

Now this bike has really low hours on it I had just gotten it on ) 08/05/05. I carried it back to the dealer I had purchased it from (Action motorsports in Clanton Al.) and on the removing the clutch side cover we discovered the above mentioned. The mechanic at the dealer said he had never seen any thing like it before, so on that note we called Suzuki tech support and they also said there were no other incedences of that nature and requested that all the parts be returned to them ASAP for closer inspection.

Well not so fast, what are you going to do about my bike I asked, and there reply was that they would replace all of the effected parts but not the labor :D Well this kinda got my imotions in a little bit of an up roar as I exspressed my discontent they later agreed to cover the labor. My hats off to Suzuki, this just proves that when there is indead a defect problem or issue that they are willing to solve the problem. :D And also to the owner and techs at Action Motorsports located in Clanton AL for outstanding customer service.

I have a thread similar to yours on here from a while back about my friends bike here in NZ. They ended up giving him a brand new bike because they admit it was a failure on Suzis part and wanted to send it back for a thorough analisis.

Dont be put off, I bought mine only weeks after and have many hours on it and love it

Yeah you heard it right my RMZ came unglued, but it was a freak thing and not an issue with the timming chain or auto decomp. There is a thin thrust washer behind the clutch basket or hub that some how came apart and got in between the hub gear and the crankshaft idler pulley and well it busted the case and did about $2000. worth of damage. :D

Now this bike has really low hours on it I had just gotten it on ) 08/05/05. I carried it back to the dealer I had purchased it from (Action motorsports in Clanton Al.) and on the removing the clutch side cover we discovered the above mentioned. The mechanic at the dealer said he had never seen any thing like it before, so on that note we called Suzuki tech support and they also said there were no other incedences of that nature and requested that all the parts be returned to them ASAP for closer inspection.

Well not so fast, what are you going to do about my bike I asked, and there reply was that they would replace all of the effected parts but not the labor :D Well this kinda got my imotions in a little bit of an up roar as I exspressed my discontent they later agreed to cover the labor. My hats off to Suzuki, this just proves that when there is indead a defect problem or issue that they are willing to solve the problem. :D And also to the owner and techs at Action Motorsports located in Clanton AL for outstanding customer service.

Is that the thrust washer in between the clutch basket and hub, the one that slides over the output shaft the clutch basket slides onto?

Suzuki has been doing this for years, in the spring of 1987 I bought an RM125 brand spankin, it died while ridding 3 weeks later. Took it to the dealer, they called me back the next day and explained to me that the stator went and Suzuki was going to look after the whole thing. Had the bike in my hands before the next weekend.

Have bought many bikes since then and all are yellow and always will be!

was this an '06?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my bike back from the dealer after having the engine cases,bearings, clutch basket all replaced under warranty.

My bike had low hrs and oil changes after every ride and after the kickstarter locked up tiring to restart the bike I noticed a crack in the main gearbox case just by the gearbox breather outlet weak the kickstart Idle gear tried to escape out of the box.The problem seemed to be caused by an assembly fault on the spacer on the back of the clutch basket.

But it is back from the dealer and all good Cheers Suzuki :banghead:

Good 4 U on getting your bike taken care of, I sure hope this kickstart idler problem is not a trend that will repeat it's self, this is the third case of a busted case that I know of. :applause:

So far no known issues since getting mine back from the dealer, other than it refuses to follow Hondas,Kawasakis & Yamahas. :banghead:

Unfortunately these things are somewhat normal for a first year attempt. As more time goes by I am sure you will see more and different failures on these 05's. Sorry, no offense do not get your panties in a wad ? just stating the facts based on years and years of ownership. (thank god the 70's and 80's bikes are classic's now)

BUT! the key thing here is that Suzuki is fixing the issues, at their expense, not yours. :applause: I do not believe Honda or Yamaha would ever step up to the plate to fix their owners bikes as I have been though this with Yamaha several years ago, as well as in the 70/80's. And I do not see Honda's warranty on valves. :banghead:

Hell they (honda and Yamaha) would not even admit there was or is a problem, so at least you all are getting some satisfaction...Rest assured that Suzuki short and longterm testing has found most of this themselves and they will correct for 06/07..

BTW...you will never here about it in the mags....they are there to sell bikes?

This is one thing that I have noticed about Suzuki. They seem to be more willing to take care of a problem like this on a machine with no warranty than the other manufactures, but you never here about it in any of the magazines. That is why after owning and riding all other of the Big four bikes, I will stay with yellow.