Sign in to follow this  

Man I love my Little Black Button

hey you guys..show a bit of sympathy for YZ owners - I did the other day by using the kickstarter a few times during a ride and once when i had dropped it in sand up side down with petrol pissing out through the overflow. It started first time - except for when i dropped it - it took the second kick!!!

Anyone on here from South Australia?????

The only reason for a e-button is so you can start the bike again after you failed to make it up the hill. Yamaha has higher expections for riding ability than KTM. On a WR you would have made that climb and not had to worry about starting in the middle of some rutted out hill climb :D

My WR starts no problems - except when the oil drain plug falls out. Just ask Ret Senior :)

Hell, you guys probably like that goofy ass front fender too....

Brian

Originally posted by Trickster:

hey you guys..show a bit of sympathy for YZ owners - I did the other day by using the kickstarter a few times during a ride and once when i had dropped it in sand up side down with petrol pissing out through the overflow. It started first time - except for when i dropped it - it took the second kick!!!

Anyone on here from South Australia?????

There's a KICKSTARTER on my bike?! I'll have to take a look! :)

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

My wife rode Ret Seniors 520 since he was riding my wife's XR250 to pull my WR to the road after the drain plug incident.

She asked why does a dirt bike need an electric starter? She answered her own question with "I guess this bike is designed for lazy old men" :) I'm really glad/lucky she didn't spend anymore time on it - I was having visions of myself at the KTM dealer buying a 520 for her.....

Brian

How is it that everyone seems to have problems with the YZ426 starting??? My dad has one, and we NEVER have any problem. No hot start, no choke, no nothing, just do the pattern and go! I will admit the KTM is far easier though, just kick it like a 2 stroke. Everytime I go to start mine, all the others look at me like, 'HU? How did you start it so easily?!' And shake their heads. But we never seem to have any problems starting a 426, hot or cold.

I rode a YZ426 late last year when a friend of mine stalled it following me up a hill. He kicked and kicked until he was completely exhausted; then he called me down the hill to ride it for him. I tried, but I never was able to kickstart it so I bump-started it down the hill, turned around at the bottom of the hill and rode it to the top while my friend walked to the top. When he got to the top, he told me to take a spin on it while he took a "break".

I took a little loop and stalled it once or twice and was unable to start it - ever - so I had to bump-start it. When I got back to where I'd left my friend, both he and my KTM were gone! :) When I finally found him (on my bike), his eyes told me everything. He knew he'd made a mistake.

Alan

I came from a WR400 and actually found that it started reliably - once I solved my plug fouling problems. Switching to a hotter plug and being very careful when cold starting made all the difference.

I am confident that the THERMOSTAT in the KTM's helps immensely in preventing plugs from fouling - which in turn helps in starting - whether using the button or the kickstarter. This is rarely mentioned but I feel the WR's are waaaay overcooled 90% of the time.

The lack of auto compression release on the WR did mandate the "routine", but after spending lots of time on all sorts of 4 strokes I start all of them that way anyway and find that it always helps. I actually find that my 520 kicks over harder than the WR, but still relatively easy.

For me the great thing about the button is the awkward spots. You've all been there - sliding backwards down a hill while you try to kick start and hold brakes at the same time. Or trying to kick in a 2 ft rut. In a way - it takes some of the challenge out of riding. Of course after a couple of kicks I am right back to using it!

I'm with you Chris. I have a '99 WR400 as well as a '01 520MXC. granted the 520 is easier with the magic button, but my Yamaha is a one kick bike unless i stall it when it's hot. i flick the hot-start (handlebar mount) and it always starts second kick. the only time it didn't was when i wanted to see if it could swim. that took about 100 kicks. 2 other guys i know never have a problem either...it's all in the technique i guess.

chuck

Here is probably the funniest thing I had seen in a awhile. I am out at the Marysville MX track.. There sits a Cannondale hooked up with battery cables to his truck attempting to jump start the bike. No kick starter, magic button dead due to a dead battery. At least the KTM has a kick starter to go along with the button. This guy was so frustrated that we had to laugh, he is cussing it out, kicking it, just plain ticked off. So we went over to him for kicks while he was down and showed him how easy it was supposed to be. Cruel but fun. Maybe he needs pedals for that Cannondale. He couldn't jump start it either. His night was lost.

Mike

Mike

Went riding again last Sunday with the first WR426 rider Unkle Moose. The second WR426 rider Michael couldn't go because he couldn't get his bike started, he will probably come on and give some other excuse why he couldn't go but it was because his bike wouldn't start. Anyway Unkle Moose only had one time where he had problems starting his bike, took about 2 dozen kicks. I'm managed to not push my little black button until all the bikes were started. I didn't realize it but I wore a hole in the thumb of my Fox glove from starting my bike everytime the Yamaha's kicked 2 weeks ago. I hear Moose has a new glove out with the Kevlar in the right thumb of their glove. Looks like I'm getting Moose gloves for my rides with the Yamaha's.

Ret Senior - what are you talking about? My bike has been hard to start on one trip - and that was well chronicled (though very exaggerated) by you on this forum. Now you choose to cross over into outright lies! Shame on you.

Don't force me to tell the story of the Maico rider (you) who thought he had meat hanging after a crash and actually had messed himself - or that same rider who was racing the nationals at Sears Point, let's see something about not racing off a drop off and a broken front brake - DNF as I recall after several trips over the bars. And these would be just some of the true stories I could share (remember that I have the pictures).

Anyway - from what I heard the fastest you went all day last Sunday was when you drove Moose to the Hospital.......

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 06-27-2001).]

Hey Ret Senior Just want to tell you thanks for letting me start your bike all day Sunday :D I got such a bad case of arm pump that I blew out my forarm :) Thanks for getting me to the ER in Auburn :D But I could have drivin myself home that night. You were worried about and Morphine and other drugs driving, But you had'nt sleep in 28hrs I was more worried about you napping on the way :D Thanks again for your help and support.