Sign in to follow this  

A Fellow Rider Needs Help !!!

I've already posted this 1 time before, and basically the only response I received was that it also has happened to other people. Yet nobody has a fix for this or knows what it is... Lets start off by saying this: I have a 2005 Yamaha YZ250F with about 50 hours on it... roughly... I've kept up on my services, valve adjustments, oil & filter changes, etc... The last 2 or 3 times I've ridden the bike, my clutch has been doing some pretty weird stuff... Sometimes it happens on starts but usually it happens coming out of a turn... I come into the turn with my clutch in, keeping the RPM's up and then letting the clutch out to get a good powerful exit out of the berm... but it's like I've got a ghost rider on the back of my bike grabbing my clutch in as I let it out... While I'm releasing the clutch, it twitches and pulls itself back as if someone else was pulling it in as I am letting it out... It eventually lets out and then happens again through the next turn... I've checked the cable and it isnt hung up or anything... I lube it before every ride so its not sticking... I dont know what it is... Ive been using Maxum 4 Syn blend 20/50 and I change it every other ride... is that oil too thick for this bike? Maybe ill try to switch to something else... The only thing I haven't done is rip the bike apart and look inside... thats the next step... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Please help me out guys ....

One more time for the reading comprehension impared. :D

Go to thumperfaq and read about the mod to drill the clutch housing. The plates apparently are starved for oil. I will add that I have read on several occasions the the old mobil 1 red cap gave a better feel to the clutch too.

The same damn thing happens to me on my 05 it makes a horrible nois every time i shift and im a little worried to

oil might be too think, same thing happend on my old two smoker.try yammalube. do you have your freeplay adjusted?

I responded in your last thread on this saying I was having the same problem and was taking out the clutch to inspect it. - I simply put in a clutch kit and it works perfect now. The clutch kit was a DP, not that Dp is the best- It just happened to be in stock at our local MX shop.

I didn't drill any more holes (not that it's not a good Idea)

Good luck!

Olson6

You are going to have to take of the clutch side case cover and inspect your clutch basket for notches (causes clutch to hangup) and check the clutch plates. Sounds like you may need to replace your friction plates. Just my .02

Ive been using Maxum 4 Syn blend 20/50... The only thing I haven't done is rip the bike apart and look inside... thats the next step...

I hope by now, you've gone to the next step (look inside). Especially look for wear on the basket.

My advice: Go to a fully synthetic oil (no blends). I use Rotlella-T synthetic off the shelves at Walmart. They do sell another fully synthetic cheaper than the Shell and maybe one day I will try it, but since it is doing the trick, the dollar difference per gallon is not enough to switch.

Also, drilling the basket is easy, but I cannot testify that it made any difference in my bike. No harm, no foul. In theory, it should get more oil to the plates so I suggest you try it as well. Using a drill press makes the job quick.

Good luck :D

Flying-W

My clutch and tranny started weirding out on me last fri nite late into the evening. 4th gear was very, very notchy and finding nuetral was almost impossible . I think 2 things were the problem 1) heat- it was low 90's and my rear brake pedal kept getting loaded up with mud and I think it was dragging. 2) the oil had about 1 hr more on it than I usually change it. This oil is not the oil I've used for a number of years. This oil was the Mobil 1 5/40 Truck and SUV diesel oil newly found on Walmart Shelves. I've been running Mobil 1 Delvac fleet diesel oil. 5/40. I don't know if they're the same.

I changed the oil and rode trails sunday and things seemed better until late in the day and 95+ temps with a lot of clutching. I'm thinking I've got heat issues and a sub-par oil.

Upon writing this and thinking about it, I'm stopping to get some water wetter and 15/50 Gold cap Mobil 1 today.

Try a different oil and see if things improve.