What type of oil in the 520?

My buddy has his spanking new 520EXC and wants to know if you guys run synthetic oil like the manual states.Can he run reg 4 stroke motorcycle motor oil or will it hurt the motor.Most of what I've read on synthetic oils is the clutches do not like it.With the power the 520 brings on I'd figure the clutch would like it even that much less.

you must run good quality synthetic oil in the Katoom due to all the close tolerances and the fact that the oil has to work harder as there is the bare mimimum. It will also last a lot longer if the oil is changed very regularly!!!

Sythentic to break it in and then just a regular name brand. ie: Castrol, Mobil, etc...but i change mine after every ride. (pretty anal huh?). My dealer as well as others i ride with have told me not to run the synthetic. They've seen more clutch wear running the synthetic.

My 520 only had about 8 rides on it before i broke my wrist so i do not have any personal experience as of yet with the KTM however, my '99 WR400 is in excellent shape internally with well over 1000 miles in 2 seasons. frequent changes with a good oil is key i believe.

either way....tell your bud good luck with it and tell him to geta set of those SS oil filters too..ooops, did i just start another debate?

-chuck

He alreadt bought the SS filters 140 bucks ouch!!!He is extremely impressed with the bike after his first juant on it.Says the front tire does not like the earth :) So he would be okay with a good motorcycle oil.

Originally posted by WR_Rider:

Sythentic to break it in and then just a regular name brand. ie: Castrol, Mobil, etc...but i change mine after every ride. (pretty anal huh?). My dealer as well as others i ride with have told me not to run the synthetic. They've seen more clutch wear running the synthetic.

My 520 only had about 8 rides on it before i broke my wrist so i do not have any personal experience as of yet with the KTM however, my '99 WR400 is in excellent shape internally with well over 1000 miles in 2 seasons. frequent changes with a good oil is key i believe.

either way....tell your bud good luck with it and tell him to geta set of those SS oil filters too..ooops, did i just start another debate?

-chuck

This is just the opposite of everything I've

heard - non-synthetic to break it in so that

everything does break-in and then go to the

full synthetic.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Does anyone know what KTM ships the bike with? The prep sheet says to leave whatever came from the factory for the first 3 hours. After that, only use full synthetic. After the first three hours I changed the oil and used Mobil 1 10w40. Seems to be running good with no clutch slippage so far!

Storm Trooper - If you are running the standard Automotive Mobil 1, I would make sure that the oil doesn't have the friction modifiers - and I think you have to buy the 15w50 wt to avoid them. Check the back of the bottle and see if the bullseye with the oil ratings doesn't say "reduced friction" or words to that effect. If it does - it is not the best for your clutch. You will not find those words on the 15w50 - which is what I am running in my WR426. Just my $.02 (and not worth that much).

I'm using Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 designed specifically for 4 stroke, wet clutch bikes. See the link for more info. http://www.mobil.com/mobil1_racing/about/products/cycle/index.html.

Mobil says they don't put friction modifiers in this oil because of the wet clutch. KTM recomends full synthetic, so I'm sticking with the Mobil 1 (motorcycle oil) until I'm convinced other wise. I'm also using K & P SS filters from TSI Perfomance with good luck so far! As far as my warranty, I believe that I'm past the term that KTM would support (if they would support it at all)! (It appears the link was changed within the last few minutes, but it gets you to the site, so navigate to the Mortocycle section for Mobil 1)

[This message has been edited by StormTrooper (edited 06-28-2001).]

I've been able to find the MX4T 10w40 at my local Autozone (auto parts store) for around $7.00 US.

ST - Thanks for the site......the correct words on the ratings label for the Mobile 1 with friction modifiers is "energy conserving". I believe these are hard on the clutch and why they are not recommended. All Mobile 1's motorcycle oils leave out the additives, but they are harder to find than the automotive 15w50. That's why I use it.

Just talked to a tech guy from the KTM factory on a race in Poland last week.

The actual recommendation is mineral (not synthetic!!) 20W40 oil to get better clutch lifespan.

------------------

I was recommended Silkoline RACELUBE 20w50 (about $6 a quart...unless you get gallon sizes...then it's like 4.00 a quart. 'Course....55 gallon drum makes it like $2.45 a quart.!! :) ) Can't say I'd ever use 55 gallons of it in less than 8 years though!

The RACELUBE is a synthetic fortified mineral oil.