Oils

I was curious as to this too. I changed my oil after a 2.5 hour break in, and new filters, with Yamalube 20w40 oil. I will run this until my Scotts Filters come in (probably only 4 hours or so on this Yamalube oil) then I will change it again.

My dealer called into KTM directly while i was standing there, and the guy that works with some of the factory riders actually recommended Silkoline RACELUBE 20w50 or 10w40 (colder temps.) The Racelube is a synthetic fortified oil. They also (KTM), recommended the Stainless Scotts filter.

Personally, to me it's a no brainer on the filter. My '01 520 will get good treatment, and it will get REALLY OLD changing filters at $30 a pop after 15 or so hours. THe Scotts filters are $70 each, (140 for the bike), but the higher filtration and cleanability makes the filters pay for themselves after 4 paper filter changes!!!!

E-mail me with questions. chriss@moldbase.com or DethWshBkr@aol.com <---(more checked)

I have being cheking the ss filters. I'm concerned about the filtration rate wich is 30 micron. Do you know what is for paper ones?

Interesting that KTM would recommend them. I have a contact in KTM USA service and he told me recently that the KTM factory is still evaluating the SS. Up until they approve them, he said they would void your warranty. He said he'd let me know when KTM ruled on that one but maybe I should send a follow up note.

The problem seems to be that repeated cleanings tend to open the screening and eventually they start to let larger and larger particles through.

I get a pair of paper filters for about $9 per pair from Mike Krueger at Cycle Zone KTM (toll free 866-843-7433). At that price and only changing them every 2-3 times I change oil, it seems cost effective and safer to me.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

The micron filtration range for paper filters is supposedly 80-90 microns.

Hmm, well, the KTM guy that was spoken to mentioned the Scotts Filters.....guess he wouldn't even mention them if they voided the warranty. Right? ( I hope so anyway! )

Do not take anything for granted with warranty, particularly an aftermarket filter! Unless you have a letter from KTM to customers approving the use of the filters, or this ONE guy youspoke to is THE man that handles / approves warranty claims.

There are thousands of "KTM guys" out there who can innocently misrepresent the companies position through normal conversation

I agree with Max. I'm trying to get the official word on this, too.

As far as Micron ratings, I've been looking around about that, too. Paper filter manufacturers claim a much better number, in the 20 range for some, than the 80-90 that Scott's says paper is good for. Apparently, that number is hard to really nail down and may be somewhat meaningless because of that. The rating system somehow allows you to say you have a 5 micron fitler rate but the filter actully lets much larger particles through as it must also satisfy a certain flow rate.

If the filter did only allow 5 or 10 micron overall, for instance, it would starve the engine of oil.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

I'm not entirely clear on how cleaning the SS filter makes the screen openings larger...

Depends on how you clean them, from what I've read. Using compressed cleaners or air can open up the mesh. Using any kind of brush or the like can also do that. Seems the only safe method is to use a cleaning solution gently from the inside out and let them air dry.

If cleaned gently, the worry seems to be that the particles aren't getting washed out well enough and your flow rate suffers. A few guys said they'd just toss the SS filters every year and buy new given the above. That sounded like a good idea when paper filters were so expensive. But at the current $9 a pair, it would seem more cost effective to use paper if you're going to toss them yearly.

Again, that's just what I've picked up from the net. How do the filter manufacturers recommend cleaning them?

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

[This message has been edited by jeb (edited 06-29-2001).]

I use a solvent tank and clean the filters with the solvent coming out of spout. Very low pressure stream.

I would think that the engine oil is under much higher pressure and full of all manner of crud, ergo, causing those little screens to open up over time.

To put a furher twist on it, the long and short screens are stainless mesh...do they open up over time? And I've heard nothing from KTM about being worried about them. Perhaps they perform a slightly different job in the "grand filtering scheme . . ." but. . .

I suspect the bottom line in all of this is, "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

And on that note, I'm going riding this weekend and not worry one whit about my screen opening up. ;-)

Have a good weekend!