Brake Slide?

Why would you purposely want to slide. Power in, brake, enter turn, TURN through turn, power out with momentum. Don't slide your bike, turn your bike. You will carry more speed, be in more control, use less energy, and go faster. I will say the bike may slide around a little bit but it is not neccesarly intentional.

I brake slide frequently in the tight woods to get my nose pointed in the direction I want to be going around obstacles on real tight corners. Basically it's counter steer to lay bike over, stab rear brake to lock up rear tire, get rear end to swap around and throttle on. I can't really think of a time where I brake slide sitting down.

I do it on my woods practice trail. You lose a lot of momentum but it's the fastest way to take this one corner. Have you ever done a fishtail as a kid on a pedal bike? You lock up the rear and push on the inside pedal right? It's the same with a dirtbike, just more mass and greater speeds. Kind of the opposite of outside peg weighting.

I don't think this is a technique someone can really TELL you how to do. You grab up some rear brake, kick the back end out, transition from brake to gas and ride it out. How much/how little of each will depend on the turn, how much momentem you need to lose, what you need to dodge ect. Personally when i visualize an awesome slide into a turn i think of johnny cambell or a bunch of super moto guys diving into corners. Personally techniques like this are what embody "style", and i'm guessing THAT doesn't from reading posts on a forum. :D I'd suggest finding a fun corner and try hitting it over and over again different ways until you feel comfortable kicking the rear end out on entry. Then work on transfering your braking to accelerating out of the corner, and you'll have it down. :D

A GOOD place to practice brake sliding would be a bermed corner. ( one thats more of a quick 180 deg rather than a sweeper )That way you sort of have something to bank off of. Iceslice said it perfectly with recomending finding a certain turn & practicing with that ONE until you get the technique down.

For me - the most important step in a good " corner slide " would be fast entry speed. Without that - you will never be able to get the rear to turn as far as you need. You also risk coming to a complete stop which would be bad both for loosing speed and or having somebody thats following plow into you!

Appx half way through the slide - I start to make the transition from brake to power. This probably will take you the longest to get down. It's really an issue of timing. Also, If you get on the throttle to hard you risk having the rear tire come all the way around - so make sure to '" roll " into the power rather than twisting your wrist as fast as you can...

Best advice: Practice, practice, & then practice some more! :D

What's all this talk about sliding the rear end out anyways ? Brake sliding isn't really much of an art, in simple terms, accelerate hard into your corners like the guy below said & dog the brakes. You shouldn't be forcefully kicking your rear end out, that's all about body position & being comfortable on your bike.

How do I pitch the bike sideways around a corner so that i don't lose speed and so that i don't lose control...while coming into the corner fast. Is it a brake slide or what...help me out. :D

go really hot into a corner, lock up the brake, turn the bike around, when you fell the bike is almost all the way around or u are about to loose momentum pop the cluch and break traction.

thats how i do it, it may not be the fastest but I like it.

I brake slide frequently in the tight woods to get my nose pointed in the direction I want to be going around obstacles on real tight corners. Basically it's counter steer to lay bike over, stab rear brake to lock up rear tire, get rear end to swap around and throttle on. I can't really think of a time where I brake slide sitting down.

I can see that working fine in a left hand turn, but how would that work on a right hand turn? unless you just do away with putting your foot forward.

sry, newb here.....

uh huh................ yeah.
I wasn't kidding. I can't think of a time where I brake slide without both feet on the pegs in a standing position. I maintain enough speed that as I start to lay the bike over, I lock the rear brake to swap my back end around then throttle on. I use it most on quick turns where I need to get around an object but also frequently on very tight switchback turns.

I wasn't kidding. I can't think of a time where I brake slide without both feet on the pegs in a standing position.

i do a little brake-sliding, mostly in super tight stuff to kick the back end out into the berm. i'm definitely sitting at those moments, because about the time the bike hits the berm and i can see out of the corner i'm on the gas hard. most corners i do not slide tho, just gently and increasing front brake pressure up to the apex, then instant transition to hard throttle.

tubo's description is pretty much what i do on tight switchbacks, but almost nowhere else. but then i'm not exactly someone anyone should be listening to about riding a motorcycle fast.

Practice in an open field. Don't go too fast, or else it will hurt worse, but just feather the front brake, and don't completly lock up the rear brake, and act like your gona turn. If you lock it up completely, you will for sure fall the first few times. It will just take practice. Yes you will fall. That's part of learning how to ride. Get use to it. :D:D

• 4 weeks later...

yes, squaring off a corner is basically 'brake sliding'. i brake slide about 70% of all the turns i take. Its something i learned off of 2 strokes in the woods, and now i ride a crf450 in the woods bone stock and brake slide out of hell.

It IS without ANY controversy the FASTEST way to fly. It does indeed take more energy to perform, you really have to work the bike.

Turning to the right with a brake slide in a seated position is done quite often. Mainly in 180 bowl turns. Just watch the pro's in SX. The inside leg doesn't come out until the 'exit dex', when they get on the gas. Squaring off while turning to the right is simply a rear brake slide, then stick the inside leg out for the throttle. Same as to the left. Many times they even plant the inside foot on the ground and 'pivot' the bike during the power slide portion of the square off.