Sign in to follow this  

suggestions on 50/50 tires and full exhaust system

I'd get the 130 though, the 120 was narrower than the stock DW's.

will the 130 fit good. how much wider are they than the 120.

I have the Maxxis C6006 tires on my DRZ400S. I put the 130 on the rear and it fits and looks great. It should be about 10mm wider than the 120, which is just a little over 3/8". I would recommend the 130.

I use the kings KT-966's with rim locks, ultra-heavy duty tubes, and air them down to around 10 off road. I recently completed a 1510 mile road trip to some off road areas with about 1000 miles of highway. Aired down, they work as well as the dot knobbies I used previously (bridgestone, ED3 and ED4) for nearly everything (rocks, roots, dirt) except deep sand and deep mud. I haven't gotten stuck in mud with them, the rear hooks up decently, but the front is a little squirrly and washes out easily in mud compared to the knobby. I wanted something I could actually ride some where on the highway a decent distance w/o the tires wearing out like knobbies would.

Terry

I have the Maxxis C6006 tires on my DRZ400S. I put the 130 on the rear and it fits and looks great. It should be about 10mm wider than the 120, which is just a little over 3/8". I would recommend the 130.

thanks dude. if you get a chance can you post some images.

I have the us size 5.1*18 kings kt-66, which I believe translates to almost a 140, can't remember for sure, it fits fine.

Terry

I just mounted a set of Kenda K270s. They look more aggressive than the DeathWings, but I haven't even rolled the bike out of the garage yet to see how they do. I'm hoping they're way better than the DWs in the dirt and not too much worse on the street.

I have the 606's on my DRZ-S and would say they are more like 80/20 dirt to street. I run 15 lbs most of the time on the trails with them and am very happy with their performance. They do fine on the road also but they are not as smooth as the trail wings.

I will buy the 606's again. Can't help with the exhaust, mine is still stock.

I have used the kenda 270's also. Work comparably off-road to the kings kt's. But feel squirrly on road until they get worn down some. The knobs are tall and soft compared to other tires. They stick fine on the pavement, just feel odd.

Terry

i just ordered kenda trackmaster II for front and rear, ill let ya know what their like when i put em on

I had a trackmaster rear on a klr650 that got me up some narly trails chasing some guys on xr400's, ktm640's, and being led by a guy on a street legal crf250x on that pig of an off-road bike. A week after that ride, I went and bought a new drz400s and sold the KLR. The trackmaster was cheap and very good off-road. Rode rough as hell, lots of noise and vibration, on the pavement and wore very fast, probably no more than 1000-1500 miles before it would be worn too much to do any good in the dirt, I didn't have the KLR long enough to wear it out all the way. Between the trail and pavement, I had maybe 700 miles on it and the knobs in the middle were half gone. Very cheap to buy though so replacing it often may not be that much of a concern.

Terry

I have the us size 5.1*18 kings kt-66, which I believe translates to almost a 140, can't remember for sure, it fits fine.

Terry

5.1 in. works out to just under 130 mm.

I just installed Metzeler Karoos on my 400S. I went with 140/80 in the rear, 90/90 in the front. No clearance problems what-so-ever. These sizes did raise the bike 1mm in front and 4mm in the rear, which was hardly noticeable.

I ride in northern Michigan where there's alot of sand in the trails. The improvement over the stock trailwings has been dramatic. I'll just have to wait and see how long they last since I also do a significant amount of pavement riding as well.

No question. From what I have seen the Karoo offers the best of both worlds and lasts over 2k miles of hard street / dirt riding.

Oh as far as the 606 goes they are good for about 1k of the same riding. They have a little better grip in soft dirt.