Sign in to follow this  

registration info...

I had no problems registering my 520mxc for street use today, all I needed was the certificate of origin I got from the dealer. If you let the dealer register the bike for you, you will not have this certificate. BTW, I am in Oregon. There was no inspection, no lights, no blinkers. Also, in Oregon you do not need blinkers if they did not come as o.e.m. equipment. To convert an already registered bike you have to put them on, but the police will not pull you over for not having them. Got it?

------------------

Steve (degeyter@cpros.com) 01' 520MXC 1992 Oregon cross country & ISDE 4stroke state champ (When 4strokes were made with solid 24carat lead)

I did the same thing here in MN but with an 400EXC. It's no more street legal than when it came out of the box except for a little fold away Acerbis mirror. In MN, I'm still illegal as I have no brake light, no horn, no DOT tires, no seperate hi/lo beam and indicator, and the lights don't work with the bike off. There's probably other rules I'm breaking, too. I only get on a paved road once in a blue moon, though, so I don't worry about it. I figure having the legal plate and proof of insurance on me will take care of the big tickets.

An MXC with no headlight would really stick out, though. Is it legal to ride a bike on the road with no headlight in Oregon?

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

[This message has been edited by jeb (edited 07-11-2001).]

No, it is not legal to be without a headlight, but any of the roads I ride on to connect trails would only be patroled by the forest service, and I don't believe they can write tickects for motor vechile code infractions.

------------------

Steve (degeyter@cpros.com) 01' 520MXC 1992 Oregon cross country & ISDE 4stroke state champ (When 4strokes were made with solid 24carat lead)

I have my 400EXC street licenced up here in Canada. Most guys have their bikes street licenced. You need a street plate to ride most enduros up here. I dont ride my bike on the pavement at all but I do occasionally ride down a gravel side road to connect trails. A cop did check out my bike once but he saw the street plate and when I offered to show him my registration and proof of insurance and he quickly cooled down. I did take some emery cloth and rubbed the "Not for highway use off of my tires" though as I have heard stories of guys getting tickets for illegal tires on the roads.

Hello. First timer here. I had my 520EXC licensed from the dealer to connect trails when needed. No horn or legal rubber. On a little trip to my buddy's house I passed an unmarked cop while dumping off the road into a larg burm, far enough from traffic. I never even saw him. A mile later I was forced back onto another road where the trail ended. Going the speed limit I finally saw the unmarked car in my cheezy plastic mirror (just to make it a little more legal) when he was almost half way up my tail pipe. Thinking he pulled me over because the bike didn't look legal I wasn't to worried. But when he had his gun half drawn and he was yelling get your hands over your head and the rest of the routine I new I was in a little more trouble. He was extreamly pissed saying I was going to jail for trying to elude him and a chopper was on standby. Do they have nothing better to do?? I could have created a diamond if there was coal in my butt. Anyway, after he calmed down and he finally agreed I stopped willingly without a chase, not trying to elude him, he checked my insurance and license then gave me a ticket for reckless driving. The part which pertains to this topic is he didn't check for the horn or the legal tires. Maybe he was too pissed to care, I don't know. I was just happy he let me ride off. If you have your license, reg., and insurance, that may go a long way. Mesa courts sapped me for 583 bucks but I plead down to just a speeding ticket with some time begging the prosecuter. Beats a criminal record and 8 points. PS. Don't rely on the mirror. You can't see semi running you over in it. Good luck.

FF520 your lucky you did not end up as bubba's little chick in the bighouse. The only thing you had going for you was the mini bike you where riding. No person with respect for themselves would be caught riding that orange trash. I bet you probly ride like my wife. Give it up, two strokes rule!!

[This message has been edited by 2strkrules (edited 07-20-2001).]

400EXCited,

In reference to removing the "Not for highway use" from your tires: I know we all have our preferences for certain brands and models (e.g., Renthal vs Tag, Dunlops vs Michelin, etc.) that we have developed over time, but I just wanted say that there are some very good, if not excellent, DOT-approved knobbies out there. That way there's one less thing to worry about. Kenda makes an outstanding (and bargain priced) street-legal rear tire, the Trakmaster II, and Dunlop also makes D903 and D905 models for the front that are also very good off-road performers. My bike came with Michelin S-12s front and rear--excellent (maybe the best) soft-terrain tires but not street legal. As soon as they wore out, I switched to the DOT approved varieties and I've not been disappointed.

[soapbox mode on] Some people I ride with think I'm a bit anal about making my bike appear street legal. I've got the full Baja Designs kit, a mirror, 55/60W headlight, and DOT-approved tires on my WR400. But when I'm out riding, I'd rather not have to worry about being stopped for something as silly as the wrong equipment when I know full well what the requirements are. [soapbox mode off]

I think one of the easiest ways to make the bike look legal is the addition of a good mirror. The Ken Sean dual-sport mirror not only looks OEM street legal but is also very functional (you can actually see what's behind you with it) and folds down out of the way on the trail. In comparison, my Acerbis mirror was a piece of useless crap.

Rich

99 WR400 dual sport

Originally posted by 2strkrules:

FF520 your lucky you did not end up as bubba's little chick in the bighouse. The only thing you had going for you was the mini bike you where riding. No person with respect for themselves would be caught riding that orange trash. I bet you probly ride like my wife. Give it up, two strokes rule!!

[This message has been edited by 2strkrules (edited 07-20-2001).]

Hey 2stroke joke, Who was throwing stones all over you last weekend? Thats correct. The awsome power of the BEAUTIFUL ORANGE 520 ravaged your little 426, (your confused its not a 2 stroke), which made you almost poop your panties and mess up that skirt you were wearing. :) By the way, I don't ride like your wife... she rides me!! :D

To the rest of you good people which may read this, 2stroke joke works with me. He is obviously confused about his new 426 but its still a joke.

[This message has been edited by FF520 (edited 07-21-2001).]