Sign in to follow this  

Air gap on 43 WP??

Originally posted by Chris Slade:

Ouch....is it 100mm? I'll look in my manual tonight...I'm playing with that too.

I look through the manual and couldn't find it anywhere.... let me know if you find it.

100mm sounds to small to me. I would guess

the range to be about 20mm from the standard

setting. Of coarse guessing isn't good enough

I don't want to be blowing the seals out of

it :)

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Fellows, don't waste you time. Me and Bultaco290 have changed every possible veriation with the forks and nothing make them better. Changed oil from 5 to 7 1/2 to 10 weight along with heavier springs with minimal change. Tried the different oil levels with no effect but frustration. Remedy....Get them revalved and shim stacks added along with the rear shock and it will save you time and money. This is my opinion.

I had heard a different answer everytime I have talked to a different tech. So I tried 160, 140,120 and now I am at 100 with no drastic difference between them all. I have also added springs 42 to 44. This made the most difference of all. I have not re-valved yet but because I am want to at least use the first set of seals. They are leaking now after 5 months so I am getting ready to ship the forks and shock. I have owned KTM's for about 6 years and have never had luck with the stock forks. This was my first 400 and thought it would be different from the rest. I only recommend the re-valve becuase of the riding style I have. I like using all of the suppension and with the stock shimms and valving it is not possible. You will spend at least as much time and money to change the oil and springs and air level as the revalving of both shock and forks. I know because I have done it all. Once again this is my opinion, you can agree or be as hard headed as me and do it the hard way. It's the only way to learn.....

I once too had this problem with my 2000 400 and the parts book said at the back 130 mm.

I must remind you though air space only affects bottoming.

I am pretty happy with my suspension and I am 200 lbs I have made some adjustments such as heavier springs and that did the trick.

TBob,

The least amount we've gone is 120mm. We usually set them at 130-150mm.

------------------

Mike Kruger

Cycle Zone KTM

866-843-7433 toll free

Originally posted by Otis:

I had heard a different answer everytime I have talked to a different tech. So I tried 160, 140,120 and now I am at 100 with no drastic difference between them all. I have also added springs 42 to 44. This made the most difference of all. I have not re-valved yet but because I am want to at least use the first set of seals. They are leaking now after 5 months so I am getting ready to ship the forks and shock. I have owned KTM's for about 6 years and have never had luck with the stock forks. This was my first 400 and thought it would be different from the rest. I only recommend the re-valve becuase of the riding style I have. I like using all of the suppension and with the stock shimms and valving it is not possible. You will spend at least as much time and money to change the oil and springs and air level as the revalving of both shock and forks. I know because I have done it all. Once again this is my opinion, you can agree or be as hard headed as me and do it the hard way. It's the only way to learn.....

Ummm... well I guess we have different problems - I'm defintately using all of the

suspension - in fact the 2 things I want to

fix is the dive and the bottoming. What is your current static sag?

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Originally posted by Otis:

Fellows, don't waste you time. Me and Bultaco290 have changed every possible veriation with the forks and nothing make them better. Changed oil from 5 to 7 1/2 to 10 weight along with heavier springs with minimal change. Tried the different oil levels with no effect but frustration. Remedy....Get them revalved and shim stacks added along with the rear shock and it will save you time and money. This is my opinion.

Otis.... thanks for your word of dicoragement :) I don't have a problem with the valving - in fact it is without a dought the best fork I've ever ridden. I do believe it will work great with a little effort on my part. I think I will probably need to re-spring but I will definataly exhaust all possiblities before doing so. I think most overlook the fact the stock the bike is way under pre-loaded with 60mm of static sag - they should be between 25-35mm of static sag. Glad to hear your re-valve work for you.

Thanks,

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

[This message has been edited by TBob (edited 07-18-2001).]

question for you guys? Otis & Bultaco290 do you know what the min air gap is?

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Well, I didn't get to look at the manual yet...but I'm currently at 127mm (5")+25CC .

Oil is Bel Ray fork lube @ 15wt. Compression clickers @ 3 from stiff.

I am not bottoming anymore (I keep a zip tie on the fork from when I get it.) infact...i have about 1/2 inch left of travel - and I cased a jump so hard already with the front I thought I broke both wrists and shoulders.

I hammer a front end, and am 6'0" 160 lbs without gear. I am constantly using up the bottom half of the travel, I'd rather not go below about 2 inches from bottom out except for mistakes and whoops. I am contemplating 20 wt. fork oil.

Have not ridden with the +25cc oil in the fork yet. We're going to a track near New York Saturday. (ww.mx573.com) We've never been there, so it will be good to get a "fresh" feel for the forks. I'll send some reports then, as well as what I can find about the max oil height!

Also....how much "dive" are you getting?? I understood a little braking dive was good as it changes the steering geometry to permit harder cornering. (not more than an like 3 inches) They always say to weight the front end as it compresses the suspention...allowing tighter turning.

[This message has been edited by Chris Slade (edited 07-19-2001).]

I looked in my manual tonight. The 4357 MXMA / 4860 MXMA manual states oil level is 120 minimum, 150 Max.

'01 520SX

[This message has been edited by Chris M Slade (edited 07-20-2001).]