Sign in to follow this  

things that make you go hmmmmm......

In the let's think about that category,

It has been said

"The extra fuel weight of the MXC causes it to push into corners"

and at the same time

"The MXC tank is too wide to transfer your weight all the way foward"

I propose that you will not have to work as hard on the MXC because you weight is already fairly well balanced

Hmmmmm..... If you transfer all of your lead butt weight foward on your EXC, won't the front end push like the 'overweight' MXC?

Can you have your cake and eat it too?....

Just trying to start something.. :)

(keep it friendly!)

------------------

Steve (degeyter@cpros.com) 01' 520MXC 1992 Oregon cross country & ISDE 4stroke state champ (When 4strokes were made with solid 24carat lead)

I have both tanks for my EXC,Ikept the EXC tank thinking I would use it when range was not an issue. The MXC tank is marginally wider than the EXC tank. You would have to get way down beside the rad to notice the difference. Probably motocrossers would be bothered by the extra width,but woods type riding doesn't pose a problem.For aggressive woods riding or hare-scrambles competition the difference is not noticable,but the extra range sure is.The only time the EXC tank goes back on will be when I sell the bike and then put the good tank on the new bike. :)

------------------

400 EXC--stock&great

YAMAHA 250--sold

250 sherco

I owned an MXC tank for a short period. I went back to the EXC tank after one long day in tight conditions. I was able to compare it back to back with my buddies sister 01 400EXC and that was the biggest eye opener.

I ride forward a lot. Elbows up, riding the front wheel in tight woods. That's how I go fast. With the MXC tank, I had a lot more trouble staying forward. I could move forward okay but I couldn't stay there for long as it wants to push me back. So I burned a lot of energy constantly scooting up. When the woods open up enough to allow standing the difference was less noticeable but it's still wider at the tank seat junction.

I wear custom knee braces for preventive measures and that probably aggrevated the experience for me as they push my knees out and inch or more on each side. In one very tight corner that day, I kept hitting my left knee on a tree that no one else was hitting. On the two loops with the EXC tank, I never touched it.

My fuel range with the EXC tank is good enough for any enduros and any hare scrambles that cover about 50 miles or less, which is most of them where I live.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Ditto John, I tried the MXC tank this week and it does seem to be a little wider at the seat/tank junction, however I'd have to say that it really didn't affect my ability to get my weight forward or affect my riding at all.

This said, I have already put the EXC tank back on (my avg. rides between fuel stops is only about 30 Mi.) & only plan on using the MXC when riding in areas where I need the extra mileage.

The natural color of the EXC makes it great for checking fuel level!

------------------

Joe Bohazi

'01 520 EXC, '99 640 LC4

If In Doubt "Gas It"

[This message has been edited by Joe B (edited 07-27-2001).]

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear you got the tank okay. If I had opportunities like you did for longer rides, I'd have kept the tank. I've never ridden anywhere where I was more than 20 miles from the truck, though.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)