Sign in to follow this  

520 MXC or 520EXC for MX, GP's and Desert?

I've been waiting...saving...waiting...well the time is here but the question is WHICH ONE!

I ride some MX with the Riverside Old Timers MX club( Novice ), trail ride in the desert...will never see a tree on a bike except at the Mammoth Mountain MX and run a GP or two during the year... some Euro Scrambles in the desert....Mostly open country except for some NASTY Rock gardens! I've been making do on my CR250, I love it on the track but it beats me up on the 80 mile trail rides! Not to mention my wife is tired of meeting me with a gas can ;-) I may end up keeping the CR for track duty, so the off-road / Desert stuff is the top priority for this bike.

I was "leaning" EXC but the local dealer just got an MXC in... I can get it now or an '02 EXC in a month from them or "mail order" '01 EXC ( at a very good price! ) from a shop in FL. I like the narrow feel of the bike but the MXC tank is a bit strange...I can get an EXC tank at the shop for 120...nice for MX but not enough gas for off road! Is there an aftermarket "big tank" for the EXC?

I guess I don't understand KTM management...in my mind the EXC should have the big tank! :| I ran a search and saw this topic talked about but I'm still confused! :) I'd like the "SX" gearing for the first 4 ( I think ) and then 5TH and 6th....I thought that was an "MXC", but I read in a post here the EXC and SX share the first 4 gears...which is it? What is the trade off on the top end? We have occasion to run "pretty fast" on the dirt roads connecting some of our favorite trails ;-)

Chris in the Mojave

'00 CR-250

'0X 520 ?XC SOON!

'98 YZ-400F - Gone but not forgotten ( what a PITA it was to start!)

The EXC is an Enduro Bike. 6 Speeds and enduro suspension. I Think this will be better for desert racing than the more motocross orientated MXC. Id wait.

Best Regards

MP

For desert and GP's I would go with the MXC. The two biggest differences are the tank and the gearbox. The MXC is a close-ratio box, the EXC has a lower first and a higher 5th and 6th.The close-ratio works better for pulling hard at high speeds when you gear it up for the dez, the EXC has bigger splits that are harder to pull in high load conditions. I rode them both, bought the MXC. I also have the SX tank for shorter GP's or MX. Although, I did use the big tank at the WORCS GP at Washougal, worked fine, no pitstop.

I agree. With the 520 this is not as critical, but to maintain an even flow of "go forward with vigor" with the 400, the close ratio is dynamite. The gaps on the EXC allow the 400 to fall off just a bit when under heavy load (snotty, sandy, loose ass uphill) when you still want to accelerate, not just grind up the hill. On the EXC it may or may not pull the next gear, on the MXC it most certainly will.

Again, generally not an issue with the 520. More motor.

Chris, the SX and the MXC share the same 1st through 4th gears. 1st gear on MXC is taller than on the EXC, but the gears are closer ratio than with the EXC. I have the 400sx, and the gear ratios are great for mx, especially Mammoth, but 1st gear is a bit tall for tight trails. I'm mostly an mx'er so I still think the MXC might be the better bet for you. I race with the OTHG and at REM alot, so if you like, you can try my bike out. Just look for a 400sx #900G. Erik

------------------

So Cal Erik

Visit my club's site at <A HREF="http://www.ruts.org

" TARGET=_blank>www.ruts.org

</A>

I have a '01 520EXC. Recently I bought a new 3.1 IMS tank from Scotts. It has an OK fit. My friend and I just did the Mammoth to Hawthorne ride, 250 miles. He has a 520MXC, I dont like his tank either does he. After drag racing out of about 100 turns his bike might pull a little in high gears then I would pass him at top speed, 98mph +or-. We felt fresh after the ride, so we rode Mammoth track to get a work out. Nice bikes.

Originally posted by Scoott:

For desert and GP's I would go with the MXC. The two biggest differences are the tank and the gearbox. The MXC is a close-ratio box, the EXC has a lower first and a higher 5th and 6th.The close-ratio works better for pulling hard at high speeds when you gear it up for the dez, the EXC has bigger splits that are harder to pull in high load conditions. I rode them both, bought the MXC. I also have the SX tank for shorter GP's or MX. Although, I did use the big tank at the WORCS GP at Washougal, worked fine, no pitstop.

Scoot acualy the MXC does have a slightly higher 6th than the EXC - but not enough IMHO

to make up for the way to tall first gear.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

-If you look at page 40 of your owners handbook you will find the technical engine data.Gear teeth data is in the middle of the page.EXC is 1st 14:34 or 2.42 to 1, MXC is 16:32 or 2 to 1. Exc 2nd is 17:31 or 1.83 while Mxc is 18:30 or 1.66 . Exc 3rd is 19;28 while Mxc is 20:28, practically the same. Exc 4th is 22:26 as is the Mxc. Exc 5th is 24:23, just a little higher than the Mxc's 24:24 6th in the Exc is 26:21 or .80 overdrive while the Mxc is 21:18 or .85 overdrive. It sure looks like the Exc has a lower 1st and a higher 6th than the Mxc to me.

Originally posted by Scoott:

-If you look at page 40 of your owners handbook you will find the technical engine data.Gear teeth data is in the middle of the page.EXC is 1st 14:34 or 2.42 to 1, MXC is 16:32 or 2 to 1. Exc 2nd is 17:31 or 1.83 while Mxc is 18:30 or 1.66 . Exc 3rd is 19;28 while Mxc is 20:28, practically the same. Exc 4th is 22:26 as is the Mxc. Exc 5th is 24:23, just a little higher than the Mxc's 24:24 6th in the Exc is 26:21 or .80 overdrive while the Mxc is 21:18 or .85 overdrive. It sure looks like the Exc has a lower 1st and a higher 6th than the Mxc to me.

Scoot - My bad - my fax that I got looks like 27:18 not 21:18 - I stand corrected.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

[This message has been edited by TBob (edited 07-25-2001).]