400 Vs 520 weight and handling

Does the 400 feel lighter in general riding than the 520? I have heard that it does but all the stats say they are the same weight. The KTM shop I was at today said that it feels lighter due to less engine inertia. Any truth in this.

Also does the 400 seem to hold a tighter line in corners than the 520. My 520 seems to push (understeer) a bit in corners.

I've not ridden a 520. I can tell you that the 380 and 250 are the same except the engine and there is a big difference in the way they steer and come into corners. The inertia of the bigger motor makes you have to brake harder and makes the steering more vague. I have to guess that the 520 would have some of the same feel.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

YES to all your comments.. That was easy :)

------------------

400 EXC--stock&great

YAMAHA 250--sold

250 sherco

Yes you are correct....however, after selling my 01sx400 and riding my 01sx520,I thought I wanted the quicker handling 400 back over the 520. Initialy the 400 seemed to be better. But the lack of power and excitement quickly turned me back to the 520. Yes you can put the 400 in a corner tighter and it rarely will cause you to panic brake into a corner,but the 520 is simply better(for mx), maybe a 450 would be perfect who knows. Strictly tight wood riding, get the 400.

The added power of the 520 can cause the rear suspension to compress more,...which has an adverse effect on its cornering abilties. Stiffer rate springs make the bike feel completly different. See the other thread on this subject. The two bikes basically weigh the same.

mark

what kind of riding do you do? I have both bikes and weight wise they feel exactly the same... neither conner like a 2-stroke