Just ordered an 02 400 EXC RFS

Greetings from the land of Albertyn and Langston. I have just done the most irrational thing I have done in my 34 years on the planet. ( apart form that little incident in high-school with the 2 redheads, 6 live chickens, a bamboo cage and a 44 gallon drum of grease ) After not riding dirt bikes for 8 years ( injuries, fear, better halves etc.) I have ordered a KTM 400. This forum played a large role because of the friendly, civil and helpful folk who post here and the one thing that stands out above all else, a love of trail-riding that shows every Monday when I read the posts of the weekends escapades. I miss it and I miss riding with my mates, one of whom will take delivery of a 300 EXC at the same time. I will probably be coming up with all sorts of newbie questions about set-up, oils etc when I take delivery ( mid-September ) but I know the forum is there and thats a good feeling. All thats left is the pacing around on weekends, watching the calendar and staring out of my office window until September arrives. Hmmm, growing old disgracefully !

Originally posted by agent_orange111:

Greetings from the land of Albertyn and Langston.

California? ?

I have just done the most irrational thing I have done in my 34 years on the planet. ( apart form that little incident in high-school with the 2 redheads, 6 live chickens, a bamboo cage and a 44 gallon drum of grease ) After not riding dirt bikes for 8 years ( injuries, fear, better halves etc.) I have ordered a KTM 400. This forum played a large role because of the friendly, civil and helpful folk who post here and the one thing that stands out above all else, a love of trail-riding that shows every Monday when I read the posts of the weekends escapades. I miss it and I miss riding with my mates, one of whom will take delivery of a 300 EXC at the same time. I will probably be coming up with all sorts of newbie questions about set-up, oils etc when I take delivery ( mid-September ) but I know the forum is there and thats a good feeling. All thats left is the pacing around on weekends, watching the calendar and staring out of my office window until September arrives. Hmmm, growing old disgracefully !

Good choice. You'll love the bike. A guy in Greece just got his 02 520EXC so they're alredy being produced.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

I would like to hear more about the time with you and the two red heads,6 live chickens, a bamboo cage and a 44 gallon of grease!

I'm starting to like you already!

you will fit in just fine around here.

I own a 2000 400 exc and was the best move I ever made!

Thanks Captain. Whoa ! I knew I should never have mentioned it. It was a long time ago, it's all a blur ?

Just started getting myself worried with the 'Coolant splooge' posts though. Seems to be a spate of them happening all of a sudden. I have seen a few related failures on the holeshot site. Is this becoming a big problem ? Is KTM saying anything ? How reliable has your bike been Captain ?

Keep reading. You'll see in the '02 specs that KTM addressed that problem with a new sealed bearing and some kind of improved waterpump seal. I'm trying to find out right now if that stuff will retrofit into my 01 400EXC. You should be safe. Actually, the vast majority of 00 and 01 RFS's had zero problems. It's just a few of us un-lucky guys who've had the problem.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

Originally posted by jeb:

Keep reading. You'll see in the '02 specs that KTM addressed that problem with a new sealed bearing and some kind of improved waterpump seal. I'm trying to find out right now if that stuff will retrofit into my 01 400EXC. You should be safe. Actually, the vast majority of 00 and 01 RFS's had zero problems. It's just a few of us un-lucky guys who've had the problem.

Jon ,

You be sure to let us all know what you find out

Guy ?

Originally posted by guyb63:

Jon ,

You be sure to let us all know what you find out

Guy ?

I found out that the bearings I have coming in are the updated, shielded bearings. Apparently, they've been available for a couple of months. I'd guess, based on that, that the midyear 01's had the updated bearings. I'd love to prove that. I know the midyear 01's have a screw type hose clamp on the bottom hose of the thremostat housing so they did do some updates.

I'm not sure about the seal carrier, though. I'll have to see if it's any different than the one I have in there.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

To this day I've had no major problems with the bike and its a 2000.

two small things,

one time I didnt use an impact wrench to secure the front sprocket bolt along with locktite and at the end of a short day ride I was left with no bolt and the sprocket moving in and out for increased chain wear.But did not come off.

The other was the lower frame/engine case bolt(the one with the framed nut)came loose with a little loss of oil.

Other than those, the only problem with the ktm 2000 400 exc has been the dumbass riding it!

Agent Orange,

I heard that your wife will be very upset with your purchase and the best (and cheapest), thing you could is have your dealer ship the bike directly to me. Prepaid of course. I do this out of no selfish reason for myself, rather thru an altruistic desire to serve my fellow man. Would not want to see you suffer of course. Please email me and I will provide you the address which to ship the bike to.

Seriously, I am sure you will love the bike. I was all set to buy one until the "Clinton Econonmy" seemed to weeze it's last breath! But I will have it one day soon!!!

------------------

aka Rich

1996 300 EXC

(dual sported)

1987 Suzuki LT250R

(Glamis chrome beast)

Thanks Rich. I come back to my original post, the decent folk in this forum astounds me !

Your assumption about my wife is wrong though Rick, at this stage she doesn't know that my garage will be getting a dash of orange to spice it up! I figure I have 6 weeks to ease her into the idea. You shouldn't rush into these things I believe. My plan is to get her to agree that 'my' garage is a dull and boring place. She will agree with no hesitation. I am going to suggest that I want to 'brighten' it up. She will say 'good idea ' I will suggest a color, lets saaaaayyyyy ..........orange. She will say ' It's your space honey, do as you please ' and the next thing *poof* a KTM 400 EXC appears.

There may be a little red thrown in. And that could be my blood on the walls...............but I'm not thinking that right now.

You could ever offer her the same assurance I offered my wife. I told her "honey, the only other woman in my life would be my purty 'lil KTM" She immediately wanted to know who this Katie M. was and that it was a good thing that I kept her last name a secret!

------------------

aka Rich

1996 300 EXC

(dual sported)

1987 Suzuki LT250R

(Glamis chrome beast)