Sign in to follow this  

whats up with the xr suspension

i really know much about this bike other than it is very reliable

but as a rider who wants to push it a little i do not think this is the bike

the suspension looks like a toy , and i hear there is no low end :D

please fill me in on what this bike is all about i am not mocking this bike but is this a bike for the desert or trails ? :D

how does it compare to the Cr250?

The suspension on the XR's is puss compared to the newies, if you are anything like me you botton it out all the time and the forks feel like thier made of speghetti. No amount of fiddling i have tried will rectify these problems completely, if you find the suspension is not up to your level of riding, go buy a crf450x. Or just accept that your bike is bargain buying and will never let you down in the bush...that can be worth more to some than great suspension....you cant have everything!

What are you trying to compare the XR too? A motocross bike? What is wrong with the suspension? It is perfectly adequate for what it is designed for - trail riding. If your riding motorcross buy a motocross bike. The suspension works perfectly for the bush. That being said I regularly launch my XR400 over a 10m table top and have landed over the down ramp and never come close to bottoming at either end. Compared to the CR250 it has a lot less power (stock) but has 10x the low end torque, is much easier and less tiring to ride and by the time you would have to do rings on the CR250 the XR would have been through 1 oil filter. And what the hell does the suspension looks like a toy mean? If you can break the suspension on the XR like a toy you must be doing something very, very wrong and would probably be in hospital.

I agree with XR Pilot. The XR400 may not have suspension like a new MX bike, but it is anything but whimpy. You can improve it with aftermarket valving and stiffer springs, but my suspension is totally stock and I never bottom it out, even when taking jumps (not huge jumps...see pic's in my galary). The only thing I've done is crank up the compression damping. I've never riden in the desert, but based on the overall handling, motor torque, and reliability I think an XR would be a great choice for most any kind of off-road riding except agressive motocross. Do you know someone with an XR that you could try? Everyone has different requirements, but I'm an ex-motocrosser and I fell in love with the handling of my XR400 after my first ride. It's a really FUN bike to ride. Just my 2 cents...

OK thanks for filling me in :D

i watched dust to glory the Baja 1000 race document and mouse McCoy was riding an xr so they must be a good bike

i understand what this bike is for now and i like trail and desert riding the most ,

i just like to have the bike with the most balls :D

yeap the xr suspension is out dated. mine is upgraded but my only problem now is excessive fork flex in deep sand whoops. other than that i am pretty happy with it.the highest i jump my bike is about 8-10 feet up and 20-25 feet out with no problems at all. granted i am landing in sand and usually on a downhill. if you looking for a faster better suspended bike look at the yamaha 450's or the ktm's 450 or 300exc 2 stroke. but for a reliable adventure /trail bike the xr will go anywhere those other bikes will. it will just take a bit longer. on the other hand i have riden with a lot of people with many different kinds of bikes (pretty much every bike imaginable) and still to date the fastest trial rider i have ever seen was on a xr250. the local legal riding area around here is flooded with kooks on new 450's and 250f's and all kinds of ktm and jap smokers. one thing is for sure i love to blow past the guys on the new 450's. not that some of them dont blow past me like im standing still but most of them don't...remember its 90% rider 10% bike.

still to date the fastest trial rider i have ever seen was on a xr250.

Must have been me.... :eek::eek::D:D:eek::D

Seriously, you are right. I ride with guys who all have the latest and greatest, and 95% of the time no one can keep up with me(trail riding, no mx). Once in a while though, there is this guy who has to be at least in his late 50's that shows up on a 1997 xr400 and he smokes me. :D

Maybe I need a yellow powerband on my xr.... :D

Maybe at 93 kilos i'm just too fat, the under side of my bashplate has been absolutely tortured...... Since when did riding trails become the easy life for a dirt bike anyway? WR's were also designed for trail riding and they some how managed to get kick ass suspension!

dude the xr suspension is so dated.

Dude my engine's valves are 9 years old and still going. I guess you think steel valves are outdated to.

Ive raced motocross to harescrambles. Ive came in first place in every race that Ive done so far. So either Im an awsome rider or just maybe the xr is a good bike. The only time I can get my suspension to bottem out is landing from 10ft up on flat landing. Most mx bikes would come close to botteming out on the same jump. For power, a xr440 is the same hp as a cr250. So see if you find an used xr440 or just put the kit in yourself. Very easy to do. If you want to be doing open desert like dust to glory, get yourself a xr650r. That is what they used in the movie and I my brother has one and it flat out hauls. It will waste any 450 in a straight run and he has smoked many on the motocross track with it. You cant beat someone who knows how to make an XR sing. Like others have said. The fastest people Ive seen have been on XRs.

At 93 kilos plus riding gear you are substantially over the target weight for the stock XR suspension (stock target weight is approx 75 kilos all up). Changing front and rear springs isn't a big chore, and will make a noticeable improvement. Talk to someone knowledgeable about suspension tuning and start playing with the compression and rebound dampening. Reset the adjusters to stock setting (owners manual lists them, so many clicks out from full clockwise etc) Only make one change to one adjuster per riding session. Don't change any adjuster by more than 2 "clicks" per adjustment. Keep notes. Make an adjustment, ride and see if it is better or worse. Trial and error works.

At 93 kilos plus riding gear you are substantially over the target weight for the stock XR suspension (stock target weight is approx 75 kilos all up). Changing front and rear springs isn't a big chore, and will make a noticeable improvement. Talk to someone knowledgeable about suspension tuning and start playing with the compression and rebound dampening. Reset the adjusters to stock setting (owners manual lists them, so many clicks out from full clockwise etc) Only make one change to one adjuster per riding session. Don't change any adjuster by more than 2 "clicks" per adjustment. Keep notes. Make an adjustment, ride and see if it is better or worse. Trial and error works.

Hmmm that explains a lot, including my ignorance :-) Will have a chat to someone who actually knows poo from ice cream when it comes to suspension and give some heavier springs a shot! Thanks for the tip!

Dude my engine's valves are 9 years old and still going. I guess you think steel valves are outdated to.

Don't mind him, he's an idiot.

I don't know the conversion of kilos to pounds (hold on a sec...) ...ok, got it. I weigh 104.3 kilos (230 lbs) and rode on the stock suspension for the better part of a year, I even did the LA to Barstow to Vegas last Novemer on it ...it SUCKED! lol Since then I had my forks and shock resprung and revalved. I added an SRC fork brace and viola' ...it's like a new bike!

Nice and plush through the rough stuff, and precise enough to handle the whoops and the gnarly rocky switchbacks in the mountains of SoCal.

It's not WR/CRF etc. good, but it's plenty capable. :D

Everytime I start to think of my XR as too "dated" I pop in "On Any Sunday" and watch Malcom Smith blast around on his old dirt bike. Get your suspension sorted out and it will easily handle anything short of MX/SX.

well i see that most of the ppl on this post are 125 lbs (or must be) because the rear of the bike is good but omg! the front froks bottom all the time no matter how i set them up. Im looking at race tech fork springs .47s gold valves and a frok brace just to get it right. I cant ride the bike hard very long without getting arm pump from the wayyyyy to soft front forks. So gain some weight and ride the bike then talk about how good the front is. I think you will have a diff take on it.

Everytime I start to think of my XR as too "dated" I pop in "On Any Sunday" and watch Malcom Smith blast around on his old dirt bike.

Just saw that movie for the first time this week. Malcom was the shit.