Sign in to follow this  

2002 exc 400 power vs. wr power

Sorry, I don't want to start one of those 'us vs. them' posts, but I just bought a 2002 KTM 400 exc and after reading all the posts about the 520, I want to make sure I made the right choice. I have to wait a few weeks before it arrives at the dealer.

Has anyone ridden a ktm 400 back to back with a wr 400? I don't want to lose any power by going to a new bike.

I picked the 400 over the 520 because I thought the 400 would be better in the woods I ride in (tight New Hampshire trails).

Thanks,

Mark

Originally posted by tripm:

Sorry, I don't want to start one of those 'us vs. them' posts, but I just bought a 2002 KTM 400 exc and after reading all the posts about the 520, I want to make sure I made the right choice. I have to wait a few weeks before it arrives at the dealer.

Has anyone ridden a ktm 400 back to back with a wr 400? I don't want to lose any power by going to a new bike.

I picked the 400 over the 520 because I thought the 400 would be better in the woods I ride in (tight New Hampshire trails).

Thanks,

Mark

I do not know about the WR, but the 520 is a handful in the woods. I rode last week with guy on a 400 EXC with Scotts 18mm offset triple clamps. This bike cornered better in the tight stuff than anything I have ever seen or ridden. Plus you got electrics. Hope this helps.

I haven't ridden a 400 EXC but I own a '98 WR400 and just purchased a '01 520 EXC this summer.

I ride on very tight and often wet(1st & 2nd gear) Texas wooded trails with lots of tree roots and the 520 can be a handful in this type of terrain, however, the brutal acceleration this bike has never fails to put a smile on my face.

The 520 will definitely teach you "Throttle Control".

The WR400 is a great bike, but the 520 EXC is probably the best bike I've ever owned and the WR400 is for sale!

------------------

Joe Bohazi

'01 520 EXC, '99 640 LC4

If In Doubt "Gas It"

Yes, the WR has a bit more power, however, for your application, the KTM is a great bike. A buddy of our has one and loves it. We can pull him a bit up the logging roads but frankly he could walk on us with an XR 200 in the woods! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Enjoy!

I own the 2001 400 exc. Prior to that I had the 98 WR 400. The WR has more abrupt power, the KTM a little smoother. For trail riding, MX riding there is no other choice. The KTM. If you have wide open areas the WR is probably a better choice or go with the 520 KTM. The KTM is simply much more user friendly, lighter, feels like a MX bike, has a magic button and even without that button, is easy to kick. The WR, once you know the drill is fairly easy to start, but try it on a hill where you wipe out and are tired. A button goes a long way. You may say "don't wipe out" but that is inevitable. I would not go back to the WR. IT was a good bike and made me a thumper lover forever, but I would not purchase one again. The KTM is ahead of the game as far as I am concerned. It comes out of the box ready to roll. You don't need upgrades because they are already there. By time I had put my WR through the ringer of upgrades I was at the KTM price. The only thing I do not like about the KTM is the dual oil filters, a chore but I guess not really that bad.

Good Luck

------------------

2001 KTM 400 exc. No upgrades, comes out of the box ready to ride.

Thanks Mike, that was exactly what I was looking for. It's funny you mentioned starting on a hill, as that's what I did after stalling on a steep, rocky climb today. I ended up going over the bars after turning the bike around becuase I was so tired from stalling and then starting the thing again. I do love the WR though, but i'm ready for a change.

As for being ready right out of the box....if I don't put a bash guard on it my ride will last about 10 minutes before something's broken. Very, very rocky where I ride. I'm going the lazy man route and I'm going to have the dealer put one on before I pick the bike up.

Mark

I own a 2001 400 EXC and 1999 400 WR.

I have ridden the Yamaha once, since getting the EXC and really don't care to ride it again. In my opinion the Yamaha has more power, more of a hit with the power delivery and less bottom end than KTM.

The KTM has a steady, strong pull. For my type of riding in trails, tight woods, and occasional hare scramble I prefer the power delivery of KTM. Also, never thought I'd feel this way about bikes, but I hope to never have to kickstart one again. That black button is magic!!