520 EXC header is purple on one side

One side of my buds 520 EXC's header is turning a purple color right where it comes off the head.Anything to be concerned with??

Weekender, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just color change from heat. You know...heat any peice of metal to 1500 degrees, and watch it go blue, purple, the whole basic spectrum if it's done right!! :)

My Uncle in California said the header pipes on his Husky quite often glow cherry red for a few inches out of the header. It's a 4 stroke, they get hot. My 520Sx is finally turning light blue after a while now.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

I especially like to ride at night and check out the header glow...very cool...but you really should look where you are going instead of down at the motor while riding...

I have had several thumpers do the same thing...nothing to worry about...

I think this colour change looks great. Mine goes from dark blue, to light blue to yellow.

When I am cleaning the bike, I always make sure I clean the header pipes, so it looks like that always.

My 520 discolored the pipes near the header the very first day. I thought this was excessive heat, so I put the electric fan kit in. Still only have 70 miles on the bike so verdict is still out. Hope this prevents camshaft bearing/water pump seal problems down the road.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 EXC

'95 Suzuki DR350 Dirt

'01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/ZF-6spd

What's the best way to clean the header pipe? I remember a post from way back from a detailer who explained how to do it without scratching it - but I can't remember what he said. That mud/dirt gets baked on there pretty good and I'd like to clean it so it shows off those cool blue-to-yellow-chrome colors.

I take the headers off once in a while and use aluminium cleaner on them with a scourer. It works a treat. Warning don't get any on your frame or she'll go grey!!.

Originally posted by Arbellspi:

What's the best way to clean the header pipe? I remember a post from way back from a detailer who explained how to do it without scratching it - but I can't remember what he said. That mud/dirt gets baked on there pretty good and I'd like to clean it so it shows off those cool blue-to-yellow-chrome colors.

So Cal Erik

ThumperTalk Member

Member # 220

posted May 17, 2001 10:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DO NOT USE SCOTCHBRITE PADS!!!! YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!! Blue Boner, the scotchbrite is scratching right through the chrome plating right into the nickel plating underneath! Nickel plating is slightly duller than the chrome, so that is no longer chrome that you are seeing. Use #0000 steel wool (ultra fine) from your local hardware store. I am a professional Detailer, and I specialize in Harley detailing(LOTS of chrome and polished aluminum) I have over 10 years of experience

with these types of problem clean-ups. I also sometimes use a special wire wheel acid,(applied by small toothbrush) but it is very dangerous to use. If it gets on aluminum, it will discolor it. For the rest of the bike, I use a high power pressure sprayer with "spotless water"(the detailers secret weapon). Be careful not to spray directly onto seals. I use diluted palmolive

dish soap, as "so-called" automotive soaps are a complete waste of money! Simple green

is kind of weak, so try STONER brand products

TARMINATOR on grease, sticker goo removal and desert-brush stains. I finish the bike off with STONER shine spray on all the plastic and cables and such. Stoner products are bio-degradable and found at most PEP BOYS. Erik

------------------

So Cal Erik

Visit my club's site at www.ruts.org

[This message has been edited by So Cal Erik (edited 05-17-2001).]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------