Starting with a button?

I have a 00 520 sx, which I love...but...I've

ended upside,(OK, a couple of times ) in the last two races. Kicking, kicking, and more

kicking. The re-starting wears on me more than the racing. Does anyone know of a starter kit offered?

Kicking?! My 01 520 SX fires on first or second kick no matter or cold. I have yet to use the choke. Is your auto decomp working?...or doesn't the 00 have that? I can't see how that would not work though. Somthing else wrong, or is it just the way of the 00 520, and always been like that??

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

True 520, Something is wrong, these bikes are know to be easy starters.

To answer your question, there is no starter 'kit', per se. You have to pony up some pretty major dollars, I've heard $600, and buy all the parts directly from KTM. Well, you can probably get the battery elsewhere.

John Brunsgaard-jeb

Remember he said he up-ended it, so it would be flooded. After I flooded my bike, it took a couple of seconds for the e-start to get her going.

Pull the de-comp lever in and kick a couple of times, then you should be right.

Have you made sure your valves are adjusted? These new RFS's get real tough to start if the valves are out of adjustment.

My local dealer charges $1200 to install electric start on ktm's so I know it can be done.

Originally posted by Dr.s:

My local dealer charges $1200 to install electric start on ktm's so I know it can be done.

Dr S,

What is the name and location of your dealer?

My dealer could't/wouldn't help.

Thanks for the info

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ponch
      I have a 2007 450 EXC that I recently installed a new clutch slave cylinder on. Per the 2007 KTM service manual it clearly states that the clutch needs to be filled with hydraulic oil, which I did (magura blood). That was yesterday. I went out to double check the level today and when I removed the cover, the rubber seal was all contorted and out of shape. I then looked at the cover and it's a Brembo clutch and says "DOT 4 brake fluid only".
      I flushed the line and the master cylinder about 7 times with DOT 4 brake fluid and there was no sign of the magura blood left in the system. My question is: other than the rubber boot on the master cylinder, what damage might have been done by putting in the hydraulic oil? It was in for about 24 hours.
      Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By pumpernickelBrad
      Hi Folks!

Sorry if there are a bunch of threads already but I used the site's search function and didn't find anything so far...

I just found a decent deal on a '14 350 EXC-F with 11k km (unknown hours). Has a few goodies including skid plate, hand guards and it's for sale for about $2k CAD less than a '16 with 6k km on it.
      The bike is in showroom condition (appearance) with no indication it has been offroad at all.

What would be the gotchas that would make this deal realistic? I'm coming from a WR250R where the engine lasts forever, is 11k street kms high for these bikes? 
      Are there any big defects in the '14s that I haven't dug up yet?
      With no service records what things should be done, checked, etc?
    • By Brannnt
      I purchased an '06 525 EXC some time ago, and recently pulled the motor out of the frame to address some other issues. When I removed the clutch slave cylinder, I noticed an issue the previous owner neglected to tell me about during the purchase.
      It appears that at some point, the chain broke and damaged the engine case near the clutch slave cylinder (see pics, please). I have noticed that the clutch does not fully disengage (bike lurches a bit going into gear, neutral is hard to find... its worse when engine is cold) ... I did not notice any leaks around this area (mineral oil or engine oil) before or during disassembly. 
      The previous owner (or someone) repaired it with some sort of epoxy.
      Without doing my due diligence (checking clutch fluid level, bleeding) I hesitate to state that this is the cause of my clutch disengagement issue ... but pardon my ignorance here and help me out: How bad is this?  Am I looking at replacing my engine case here or is the previous owner's jerry rig good enough?

• By Black Sox
      Just bought a new 2017 350 excf ,will be doing 98% off road ,ordered skid plate bark busters ,
      my ? Is what's the best easiest way to eliminate rear fender light assembly.I still would like to have a break light.
      xcf fender will fit so dealer says,under $50.00 👍But xcf brake light $125.00 .👎What's the best economical way of doing this?
    • By JNV
      Hi friends from Spain.
      Mi new KTM