New 400 Break in procedure help

Ok, so I picked up my 2002 400 EXC, but I didn't get a manual. Dealer didn't get them from KTM yet. I want to break this bike in slowly and get it straight before I ride it hard. I have a few questions:

1. Do I need 4(!) oil filters when I replace the oil, or just the two on the top?

2. How long should I ride it before changing it for the first time.

3. What's the recommended period for an oil change after it's broken in.

4. When should I first adjust the valves?

5. Did anyone else get a 400 with a concrete seat like mine?

I did read the set up post from someone (forgot who), and that was great.

Thanks for the help! I'd look at the manual, but I don't have one!

Mark

tripm - see my post in holeshot http://www.holeshotforum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000296.html

I changed my oil/filters(2) the first time

at 60 miles - I normaly change my oil every 150-200 miles changing the filters every other oil change. The first 400 miles I ran a good quality non synthethic motor oil (for break-in) and now I run Mobil 1 15w50. Softer seats are avalible if your tall get a soft /tall foam - I got mine from GUTS racing and I got my cover from Enduro Engineering(they also sell foam).

Enjoy your new ride ?

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

I don't have my manual with me but I'll give you what I remember and check it against the manual tonight.....

1. Do I need 4(!) oil filters when I replace the oil, or just the two on the top?

Replace two filters and Clean two screens. Careful with "carb cleaner" on the screens, some will "eat" the O-rings used to seal the screens. Maxim (sp? same folks that make chain lube) has a carb cleaner that is O-ring safe.

I like to change oil "early and often". Dealer said change it after the first tank or two of gas. Change the filters, clean the screens and the magnetic drain plug. Email me if you want my source for after market Filters. You'll want a piece of small diameter wooden dowel (3/8")or similar to reinsert the screen that goes in from the side.

I'll check the manual and get back to you, dealer advice was every 300 to 400 miles. Mine will get oil at half that with one filter each time, alternating.

Dealer said valves should be adjusted at 400 to 500 miles. You have to give them time to seat fully.

It's a "Racing Four Stroke" you're standing all the time right? ;-) Yep, they're all hard, but I like it! Try www.gutsracing.com for replacement foam and Speed Defies Gravity www.sdgusa.com for a complete gripper seat.

I did read the set up post from someone (forgot who), and that was great.

I think that was TBob with links over to the Holeshot board. I think we'll have to work on Brian to come up with a RFS FAQ.

Thanks for the help! I'd look at the manual, but I don't have one!

I'll look up anything you need, just let me know ?

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

Thanks all. That should keep me busy for a little while. Great advise. Still no word from the dealer on the manual though :-( I should have the brush guards, bash plate and new tank by mid next week, so I guess it's riding around the neighborhood for 50 miles and changing the oil.

Would any of you recommend against riding it on a 90 mile ride after only putting 50 - 70 miles on it? Next weekend is a Turkey Run in Vermont and it's either the new KTM or I'm riding a yz 125 90 miles on trails and praying I don't run out of gas..

Thanks!

Mark

Originally posted by tripm:

Thanks all. That should keep me busy for a little while. Great advise. Still no word from the dealer on the manual though :-( I should have the brush guards, bash plate and new tank by mid next week, so I guess it's riding around the neighborhood for 50 miles and changing the oil.

Would any of you recommend against riding it on a 90 mile ride after only putting 50 - 70 miles on it? Next weekend is a Turkey Run in Vermont and it's either the new KTM or I'm riding a yz 125 90 miles on trails and praying I don't run out of gas..

Thanks!

Mark

Mark just don't screem the lungs out of the thing- let it cool once in a while ya should be fine.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

I have a complete set of manual and I believe this is common all of the world as it is wrtten in various languages and instructed for all 4 stroke models(American, Australian 400/500, sx/exc/mxc). In NZ, a KTM ballpoint pen, a video for maintenance and set-up and a KTM briefcase are provided with the manuals. while it is for 2001 models but it would be the same for 2002 model if there is no big change in between. Dealer here still use 2000 model spare parts list for 2001 model.

According to the manual,

- You have to change the short and long oil filters after first 3 hours riding and change them after every 15 hours riding.

- 3 operating hours or 20L fuel (do not load more than 50% of engine capacity or less than 7000 rpm during the period and up to 75% of load in the following 12 hours).

- Every 15 hours or 100L fuel.

- 3 hours and then every 15 hours again.

Mine, too. A bit softer than motocross bikes and so I ride in standing position as much as possible.

Enjoy your riding without any problems.