sold my 426, bought 02 520 and need help!

Well, after 4 Yamaha 4 strokes I made the change. I just picked up my new 02 520sx yesterday. A few questions. It didn't come with a manual so I can't read up on it. First, what octane gas and what type of oil?

Second what's the best aftermarket exhaust with a spark arrestor?

Thanks

rob

You should have got the manual....go back and make them find it ;-)

From the manual:

First oil change @ 3 hours or 20L of fuel.

Then every 100L of fuel or 15 hours. Use FULL Synthetic oil API classes SG or SH or better ( plain jane 15w50 MOBIL 1 meets the spec). I've got Maxum4 15w50 in mine now, same stuff Dowdy gets paid to run :-) Remember two filters and two screens....if you're rather pay about $9 for filters rather than 30 for the KTM part email me and I'll tell you where...

Only guy I know that's gone to an aftermarket pipe is a PC T-4. It's nice, saves a couple of pounds and has a removable spark arrestor. I've been an FMF guy for years but I think I'll go PC if I change out this one. The changable end caps and removable sparky make the PC a much better deal- IMHO

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

Chris, thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to thumpertalk so maybe I am missing something but I couldn't find your email. Please email me with the info. regarding less expensive filters at rjpyne@mathed.byu.edu . Also, do you know what is a reasonable price for the PC T4 exhaust system. Could someone also inform me with regards to the airbox mods that will increase performance?

Thanks again,

Rob

It should have come with a pretty comprehensive set of papers. Included are WP manuals for fork and shock, setup papers, and an excellent owners manual. All in a neat KTM logo nylon pouch. Contact the dealer and get it.

As for the exhaust, ride it first. There is so much power stock, and easy power gains with holes in the airbox side cover, a pipe is not really necessary. Uni makes a little round filter set for the side covers, just use an appropriate size piece of copper pipe (home depot) heated up and push neat holes in the cover. The round filters are generic and made for any bike.

Good luck

------------------

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

Hey Chris -What's the scoop on where to get two filters for $9? This is a great deal!! Thanx. Ride on. Greg

Originally posted by Chris in the Mojave:

You should have got the manual....go back and make them find it ;-)

From the manual:

First oil change @ 3 hours or 20L of fuel.

Then every 100L of fuel or 15 hours. Use FULL Synthetic oil API classes SG or SH or better ( plain jane 15w50 MOBIL 1 meets the spec). I've got Maxum4 15w50 in mine now, same stuff Dowdy gets paid to run :-) Remember two filters and two screens....if you're rather pay about $9 for filters rather than 30 for the KTM part email me and I'll tell you where...

Only guy I know that's gone to an aftermarket pipe is a PC T-4. It's nice, saves a couple of pounds and has a removable spark arrestor. I've been an FMF guy for years but I think I'll go PC if I change out this one. The changable end caps and removable sparky make the PC a much better deal- IMHO

See this thread for info on cheaper oil filters: http://www.thumpertalk.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000544.html

I use pump premium with no problems. I use Belray EXP semi-synthetic oil. KTM service classes told the dealerships to recommend the semi-syn. There were a small number of folks who were experiencing premature clutch failure with fully synthetic. There's an article in a recent DB mag that has KTM's Tom Moen using totally non-synthetic, dino oil in a article about how to change oil in an RFS.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

DualDad:

www.ktmofmojave.com

Good folks, the filters are about 4.50 each...they'll ship them ups....I buy a few at a time ;-) Also if ( God Forbid ) you ever need engine work, Sam the owner is the only guy besides myself that I'd let work on my bike...first class Guy and Mechanic.

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

Thanx for the info. I'll give them a call.

DualDad:

www.ktmofmojave.com

Good folks, the filters are about 4.50 each...they'll ship them ups....I buy a few at a time ;-) Also if ( God Forbid ) you ever need engine work, Sam the owner is the only guy besides myself that I'd let work on my bike...first class Guy and Mechanic.

Premature clutch failures with full synthetic oils? Interesting. Does anyone know more about this?

First, this is not common. It was stated that some of the top racers were going through clutches fast in the RFS's so they switched to semi-synthetic oil to help stop that. I've read of a few early clutch failures on KTM RFS's but not many at all overall.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

DualDad:

www.ktmofmojave.com

Hi Chris:

It is good to know that you have confidence in Sam to work on your bike. That way I know where to go if I need some work done on mine.

Take care,

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80