over heating

Hi, I recently joined the list. I sold my DRZ 400 and will be picking up my new '02 520 EXC on Saterday. I have road with 520's and I have seen them over heat on slow tight terrain. I understand there is a fan kit for this bike. Is this a necessity for tight trail riding?

I got my 520 to push fluid out once. I was busting new trail over a logged out area in 95+ degree heat. The terrain called for 1st gear & stop-n-go riding. My speed was about 1/2 mph during this 20 minute ordeal. I took a different route home. If it was a slow speed trail I would not have had the problem unless mud was blocking the radiators. Bottom Line: Under only the most extreme conditions will the bike overheat.

------------------

'01 520EXC, '74 YZ520, '71 TS400, '86 XR250.

The problem without a fan is, until it starts puking fluid out the overflow tube, and losing coolant, you have no idea how much you can really benefit. When you DO have the fan kit, you know by sensing the amount of time the fan runs, because it's thermostaticaly controlled. My observation, is on slow, tight, single track trails, the fan runs a LOT!

------------------

'01 KTM 520 EXC

'95 Suzuki DR350 Dirt

'01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/ZF-6spd

[This message has been edited by quadrunner500 (edited August 27, 2001).]

Thanks Bob, For under $100 I think I'll go with fan kit just to play it safe.

I have to agree with quadrunner500, the majority of my riding is in tight, 1st & 2nd gear, 100 degree Texas heat.

The fan comes on at 185 and I can tell you that it comes on a lot in this kind of riding.

Before installing the fan the bike would spit a little fluid if you really worked it hard in slow terrain, but after installing the fan I don't believe it's lost any fluid.

The fan bolts right on, however on my bike I had to do some minor trimming on the fan shroud to clear my radiator quards (very minor!).

------------------

Joe Bohazi

If In Doubt "Gas It"

'01 520 EXC

'99 640 LC4

'96 KX 250 Gone

'92 RM 125 Gone

'00 ZX-12R

'01 ZRX1200R

Can you run a aftermarket gas tank like the IMS or Clarke 3.1's with the fan in palce??

Clark

I don't have the battery run down problem at this time.

Don't know about the IMS tank, but it fits fine with the (3.7 gal) MXC tank, for about $320.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 EXC

'95 Suzuki DR350 Dirt

'01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/ZF-6spd

On my first ride with the radiator fan, the battery ran down and I had to use the kickstarter. I was surprised at how long the fan ran, even after the engine was shut off.

Anyone else had their battery die because of the fan? Can the fan be wired to the lighting circuit instead of the battery?

John, my fan will run for a short while sometimes after I shut the bike down, but it never runs more than maybe 60 seconds, and it never runs the battery down.

Clark, I don't know about the IMS or Clark tanks, but you can run an MXC tank with the fan with no problems.

------------------

Joe Bohazi

If In Doubt "Gas It"

'01 520 EXC

'99 640 LC4

'96 KX 250 Gone

'92 RM 125 Gone

'00 ZX-12R

'01 ZRX1200R

two words:

water wetter

two more words

engine ice

you need it for big bore, wet sump four strokes.