Sign in to follow this  

A KTM 250 four stroke

I was wondering if anyone has any imfo on KTM building a 250 four stroke.I read,earlier in the year that there is one in the works.The magazine had got a quick peek at a possible 2002 machine.I have not heard anymore about the bike and am wondering if they desided against the the project.If knows anything please let me know i am about ready to buy a Yamaha WR250F,But would rather buy a ktm if one is available

------------------

Heb ,

I just read the August edition of the excellent British trail bike & enduro magazine called "TBM" . They have tested the new KTM 250EXC4T. Apparently KTM have decided to market it as an "entry level machine" and have now denied it to be a rival to the Yam WR250F or the Husky. The testers were dissapointed. Same quality and build as its bigger brothers , and "like a real bike - only slower". I´m only quoting from the mag here. They say , no bottom , pretty decent mid range , then its like the throttle is connected to the brakes . The final sum up was "As it is the 2002 KTM 250 4T falls between camps - neither a racer nor a beginners bike and to simply try calling it an entry level machine ..... Well I just dont buy it! And nor , do I imagine will many other people...

I for one was surprised to read this , I can only guess that KTM were completely taken by surprise by Yamaha.

I hope this helps .

Jerry

Thank you jdb,is there a web site you can direct me to so i can read that article.

Originally posted by JdB:

Heb ,

I just read the August edition of the excellent British trail bike & enduro magazine called "TBM" . They have tested the new KTM 250EXC4T. Apparently KTM have decided to market it as an "entry level machine" and have now denied it to be a rival to the Yam WR250F or the Husky. The testers were dissapointed. Same quality and build as its bigger brothers , and "like a real bike - only slower". I´m only quoting from the mag here. They say , no bottom , pretty decent mid range , then its like the throttle is connected to the brakes . The final sum up was "As it is the 2002 KTM 250 4T falls between camps - neither a racer nor a beginners bike and to simply try calling it an entry level machine ..... Well I just dont buy it! And nor , do I imagine will many other people...

I for one was surprised to read this , I can only guess that KTM were completely taken by surprise by Yamaha.

I hope this helps .

Jerry

With the untimely death of the lead engineer of the RFS engine it may be quite a while before we see the 250.....

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

Sorry Heb , I dont see any mention of a website in the magazine. I could get it scanned in and send it to you if you give me an email address.

Jerry

Heb,

I was going to by a KTM250F also (I had a deposit on one) then I found out that the release was going to be delayed so I got a WR250F. The KTM was just a sleeved down 400 so it was heavy and a dog compared to the WR. KTM is going back to the drawing board and going to start from the ground up. Hopefully they redesign the motor and put it in a 125/200 frame. By the time it comes out maybe I'll be ready for a new bike again.