Sign in to follow this  

thinking of change from 426 to 520 ... advice

Hi there ktm dudes.

I live in oz have an 01 wr 426 which i do more motorcross that trail riding but love the odd trail ride too (probably should have got the yz) but even though i love the roar power of the 426 (ie the way it revs like a 2 stroke) i am dissatisfied with its weight and suspension.

a good mate had a ktm raved about it and i love the way they come out of the box (brembos, hydraulioc clutch etc etc) BUT my questions are:

1. will i find the smooth power delivery as opposed to the raw brutal power of the 426 a little "boring" ?;and

2. if i get the sx 520 does this rule out decent trail riding with the 4 speed box ?

in relation to the power issue i know the 520 deliver a lot more horses but does the way the yammis rev make up for the horses ?

thanks

jeremy

BORING?? Wow...whack that throttle WIDE open, and tell me it's boring.....I mean, make sure it's pinned, even for a short-short stint. I just got back from California, and I had mine out there, we did about 80 miles of desert riding, and if I opened it up FULLY, I was using everything I could just to hold myself on the bike. My hands and foreams were seriously fighting to keep me on that thing. It felt like my hands were being peeled from the bars. (incidentally, making SURE the throttle was pinned ! :) ) My dad has a YZ426, and that 520SX would WALK. Unfortunately, I ran out of gearing, but at 4th gear, on the rev limmitter it had to have been 75 mph +. (Stock) SO....I doubt the 4 speed gearbox would be a dissadvantage....unless you're doing 75 in the woods.....

And anytime I want to gain on dad and his 426, just, like i said, be sure to pin the throttle, even for just two seconds or so, she'll close it up real quick like.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

It's not that the 520 is "boring" it just doesn't "sound fast", if that makes any sense. I had a YZ and anytime you opened the throttle you got this big ROAR and when it hit, you could really feel it... The 520 is STEALTH FAST, very quiet ( by comparison ) and no hit... it just GOES! If you're looking for a bike to pull double duty, look at the 520 MXC. You'd want to swap the tank to an EXC or Tank and Seat to an SX unit for serious MX but the MXC has the same first four gears as the SX...PLUS TWO MORE!!! The thing is just plain OH MY GOD fast, even with the close ratio gear box top speed is in the 90's (mph - for my mates down under :-) ) stock. I'm told the EXC is good for 3 digits! (100+ mph). I'm really happy with mine. The smooth power delivery is really nice on those loooong rides, when your buddy's on the YZ are worn out, you'll still feel fresh! :-) I've only had mine a few weeks and it continues to surprise and impress me and I'm fairly jaded...I've had a CR500 and YZ400 open bikes. The 520 is FASTER than my CR500 2 stroke, which REALLY surprises me. Might be different if the CR had a 6 speed box though....

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited August 30, 2001).]

520 MXC all the way....power is very manageable, much more so than the, well i can only speak for the WR400. and the suspension out of the box was almost dead on for me. I don't do any MX but i'm sure a minor suspension mod is all you'll probably need if that. Get yourself an SX or EXC tank for those MX days and keep the MXC tank for the trail days...you wont be sorry.

good luck with your decision.

-Chuck

Jezza,

We don't get the mxc in oz, I have a 520 exc which I think is a lot more versitile than the sx. Tank is larger( although barely large enough!) 6 cogs, electric leg and still goes like a shower of ****e off a chrome spade. Whilst not as revvy as the 400/426, when the big girl barks you are moving out big time. Mine does 155 indicated with 48/14 gearing. The 520 has enough to satisfy the best and frighten the rest. Cheers Wazza

Wazza,

You must have big balls to go flat out onthe 520. I know mine is very unstable over 110ks.

I have only had mine a couple of weeks also, but have never held it flat, until last weekend. Going to 3/4 throttle has always been quick enough for me, but I decided it was run in and held it flat.

Oh My God! You wake up a different beast within when you open it. It revs it's head off and fires you down the trail real quick. Thanks god the front brake is so good.

I usually ride it on the bottom end torque, but by no means is it boreing.

If you want some more bark, unplug the exhaust a bit.

Gidday its Trickster from Adelaide in SA - buy a 520 EXC - trust me you will never look back. i have had mine for 18 months now and regularly go riding with guys on XR650's, YZ & WR 400's and 426's - have ridden them all and they are all jealous of the 6 speed and little black button not to mention the white power suspension - the KTM is also made better but be warned it requires regular maintenance. I run 14/51 gearing and on a flat hard dirt road it will run out to 180 kph flat out just below where the rev limiter cuts in. It handles the sand whoops and deep ruts etc with ease and is an absolute pleasure to ride!!!! hopes this helps!!

I've yet to ride a 520, although I am anxiously awaiting its arrival in the coming weeks. What I've read, and what I've been told is this: The 520 does not hit like a 2-stroke. It has a much more even power distribution. However, it has a rediculous amount of top speed which is not necessarily useful for trailriding. You may want to consider one of the other KTM bikes like the 380 EXC - a 5 speed, 2-stroke. It is one of the best enduro bikes available.

i beg to differ. Ask Shane Watts what is the best enduro bike and, for him anyway, that is the KTM200. Once read a interview with Stefan Merriman and he stated that he would be just as fast, or even faster on a Husky 125 than he is on his 250. What does that tell you? Its true that these blokes are only in the 70 kilogram bracket but if you are in that range as well, then????

I think it takes much more skill to ride a small bike fast in the bush, and big cubes are only a substitute for this. Read again, super smooth power, and lots of it is a good substitute for skill. Sure, every one likes to hold it wide open out on the fire trails, and there is not much that can catch a 520 in this instance. But really, what sort of dirt bike rider claims he is the quickest down a open fire trail at the pub? A pretty pathetic one i reckon!

Point to this dribble. Get yourself a 520 if you like the fast open trail stuff, but, as the trails turn to enduro work, seek the advice from two world enduro champions.

Also, doesn't anyone have a problem with the front end being a bit twitchy, and slightly unbalanced? i thought the front end of a friends 520 felt very light and nervous. Comments?

Doc - your dead right. Having riden older 380's and 300's that dont really match the 'rideability' of the 520. The 6 speed is magnificent as you have the broadest spread of gears i have known on a trailbike with a motor that is like a tractor thru the midrange, this combined with the best power to weight ratio ever for a trailbike makes it easy/fun/awesome/fast - especially when u get to my age - 38 tomorrow!!!!!

The twitchy front end - it probably needs setting up and/or fork oil replaced - try new oil first - it makes a huge difference

[This message has been edited by Trickster (edited September 19, 2001).]

I actually had a chance to A/B both the 426 and the 520EXC before I bought. The Yamaha is louder, alot louder. I also found the rider compartment a bit cramped on the 426. The 520 is so quiet that it is deceiving as to how fast you are going and how much power is actually there. I found the 520EXC to float over chop and square edged bumps where the 426 was alot harsher and transferred more terrain directly to the rider. I let a buddy of mine ride my 520 last week for about a half hour. He came back with the biggest smile and said that I had just ruined his 426 for him. He is now looking at the 520.....I am so happy with my bike and all of the componentry that all I have to do is buy a skid plate..it is that good.....period.

I have both a 01 426 and a 00 520 EXC. The 426 does hit alot harder off of the bottom, more like 2-stroke power. You may be board with the automatic, smooth feel of the 520, but you will be faster. As far as 4-speeds, I think the 02 SX 520 is coming with a 5-speed. If it is still a 4 speed don't worry, you will still be faster than on the 26. If you are over 165 lbs. get ready for some spring changes on the 520. Although I have heard the 02 is going to be better for adjusting to the weights of heavier riders. I weigh about 230 geared up and am about 6'1" tall. In addition get ready for a bike in bone stock trim that will not turn like the 426. In stock trim if you run the 520 in to a corner like you do your 26 it is going to scare the **** out of you cause you are going to push through the corner and most likely wind up on the wrong side of the berm. At a minnimum you must get the race sag correct so the rear will ride high enough, I am in addition getting ready to go tith off set triple clamps. With the offset T-clamps, and the correct sag front and rear and possibly suspension revalve you can get the 520 to turn insider of a CR 250 at speed in the corners. When you get here it is a lot of fun to dust off a few CR's in the corners. Once you spend about a grand on suspension set up and t-clamps you will have the most powerful, smoothest power transition, highest quality, best turning bike on the track. In the correct form you will most likley go faster, with less effort than you ever have. I am much faster on my 00' 520 EXC on both the trails and the MX track than I am on my '01 426.

Originally posted by jezza426:

Hi there ktm dudes.

I live in oz have an 01 wr 426 which i do more motorcross that trail riding but love the odd trail ride too (probably should have got the yz) but even though i love the roar power of the 426 (ie the way it revs like a 2 stroke) i am dissatisfied with its weight and suspension.

a good mate had a ktm raved about it and i love the way they come out of the box (brembos, hydraulioc clutch etc etc) BUT my questions are:

1. will i find the smooth power delivery as opposed to the raw brutal power of the 426 a little "boring" ?;and

2. if i get the sx 520 does this rule out decent trail riding with the 4 speed box ?

in relation to the power issue i know the 520 deliver a lot more horses but does the way the yammis rev make up for the horses ?

thanks

jeremy

------------------

Chopperman

00 KTM 520 EXC

01 Yamaha YZ 426

78 Yamaha TT 500

78 Yamaha SR 500