Clutch Fluid

Hi All,

What are my fellow RFS riders using for hydraulic clutch fuid? My dealer does not stock SAE 10 mineral oil and recomends using ATF instead. I am reluctant to do this since a friend of mine has been using ATF in his 01' 200 and has blown out his slave seals twice.

I have searched both Motul and Shell web-sites for SAE 10 and have found nothing.

Thanks for the help.

you can also get away with 10w fork oil.

Ouch! If it says mineral oil, I'd use only that....I'v played with Magura stuff before, and you want to use what they say...

My mountain bike has full hydraulic brake calipers, made by Magura. I used some other "Mineral Oils", but they all changed in temperature, and made the seals funny.

I'd check with a local bicycle shop (higher quality, obviously), and see if they have any Magura HydroStop brake fluid. If not, I'm sure they can order it. After all, alot of high end bicycles are now coming stock with hydraulic disk brakes via Shimano, or Magura. It's pure mineral oil, and very light viscosity. Check with Magura directly as well, they would probably say it's fine....afterall, it's their product, eh?

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Apparently in Euro terms, mineral oil is not the same as what we in the US think of it as. It's more like hydraulic fluid. I've been using 10wt fork oil for 4 years in all of our KTM juice clutches. Works great. Many others use it with equal success. The fork oil weight is not that critical, BTW. People have also gone to the drug store and used mineral oil. I guess that works okay, too. Just don't use brake fluid.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Hey slade, Why do they call it an hydraulic clutch if it takes mineral fluid?

would'nt they call it a mineral clutch?

Are forks a form of hydraulics?

I know the manual calls for mineral fluid

but do you change your top end after every third race?

All i'm sayin is if everyone that has a KTM has to buy mineral oil then the mineral oil would be readily accessable.

Every third race?! Heck, in the three years I owned my KX250...I've rebuilt the top end twice :)

Well, I only say that because of my experiences with Magura hydraulic items. For my mountain bike, the only thing that would work properly was Magura mineral oil. Yes, I could tell a difference, my mountain bike racing caliber was quite a few notches up of my motorcycle riding caliber. Personally, I would use only Magura stuff, but thats just me.

As far as doing what the manual says though, I consider a manual simply a torque sheet and notepad. I run partial synthetic oil, Scotts stainless filters, and I am hoping to get a good 2 or three full years out of my engine before I touch it. (Valves and all.)

I had simply found Magura fluid to work best, if not the only thing that worked. Keep in mind though, the brakes on my mountain bike were used more often than the clutch on my KTM, as well as the brakes were more sensitive than the clutch on a motorcycle....so little things stood out more.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Mineral oil is easily found at your local automotive store, it's sold as hydraulic jack oil. Cheap too.

------------------

400 EXC--stock&great

YAMAHA 250--sold

250 sherco

Just bought the latest dirt rider mag and in the tip section they say BABY OIL is a light wieght mineral oil and that it is easier to pull in the clutch with it.

Who would have known?

I have a Magura clutch on my 250F and it states on the top of the resevoir to only use

DOT3 or 4 brake fluid. What's up with that?

By the way it is a Billitanium Juice clutch.

Jeb,

Have you ever tried 2.5W fork oil in the clutch? I have heard it makes the clutch function more efficiently and easily? It doesn't seem that hard of pull anyway, but if it makes it better??

I wonder about that light of weight and leaking too?

Steve Wallingford

01 400exc

01 200exc

Originally posted by jeb:

Apparently in Euro terms, mineral oil is not the same as what we in the US think of it as. It's more like hydraulic fluid. I've been using 10wt fork oil for 4 years in all of our KTM juice clutches. Works great. Many others use it with equal success. The fork oil weight is not that critical, BTW. People have also gone to the drug store and used mineral oil. I guess that works okay, too. Just don't use brake fluid.