KTM tall seat

I am 6' tall and looking for a slightly softer seat for my 520exc. Does anyone have comments on the KTM tall seat? Is it softer than the standard? Does it make the bike feel awkward for 6' height? Seems like a too good to be true price!

Matt, the tall seat will help you and your knees. It will make the transition from sitting to standing much easier. You can also get foreward easier in corners. Some people feel that the taller seat hurts their turning ability. I contacted SDG, they will be making complete seats for KTM's by late September They are priced much better. Also the taller seat will give you more surface area for your knees to grab while standing. Good luck.

I have MSR taller softer foam in my 400. I'm 6'2" and love it. All the benefits listed above hold true for me. The foam was $39 last year. You'll have to get a tall seat cover, too. EE and MSR make them as do others.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

When we talked about this last month, I called SDG, at the time they said the complete seats would be shipping "first week"

of Sept., looks like that slipped a bit :D

KenKfish - did they say WHICH seat they were building? the SX or the MXC/EXC? When I asked the guy didn't know....

Quote from trl junkie:

"Do be aware that KTM has a tall seat, complete, for the paltry sum of $89. I just got one--nice!"

I changed out foam and seat covers on my YZ400....what a PITA :D

With complete seats for $89 from SDG and KTM I can't imagine messing with foam and a cover. I'm just going to put the stock seat on the shelf.... can you say "resale" :D

Funny that you get a complete seat from KTM to close to the same price as a clutch lever! :)

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited September 05, 2001).]

The KTM tall seat is a good deal. I'm in the over the 6" club and it works great on my 400. It is definately hard though. IMO, this is a good thing, as you really should be standing up and on the gas! :)

I've got a deal for someone looking for a tall seat. 65.00 for a new Enduro Eng. seat cover & a used (but perfectly good) tall/soft seat foam. 65.00 for both & shipping is paid also.

BTW The OEM KTM tall seats are coming off back order. Retail price is 85.00.

------------------

Mike Kruger

Cycle Zone KTM

Topeka, KS

866-843-7433 toll free

[This message has been edited by KTMMIKE (edited September 05, 2001).]

Is the KTM tall seat "flatter", more like the SX seat?

I'd like a tall hard seat that would make it easier to get forward on the bike when seated. :)

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

Thanks for the replies - I am actually most interested in just being softer. The stock seat is OK for hard riding - but many times I am cruising dirt roads and am also thinking of converting to a dual sport - this seat is just too hard for much sit down time. The rest of the bike is great for cruising - smooth quiet motor with nice tall gears - but I got to fix the seat.

Sounds like the KTM Tall is just as hard as the stock.

Jeb - is the MSR seat noticably softer?

Thanks - Mathew

Mathew,

Here is an easy fix!

step one remove seat

step two remove seat cover

step three take stock seat foam and drill 3/8 holes about 1" into foam about 1-2" away from each other(carefull not to drill through foam)!

step four remount foam and continue to cover with new OR old seat cover and there you have it a nice pillowy soft ride!

and no more mahogany!

I just got the KTM tall seat from the Hard Parts catalog. I paid $80 for it, and it is....well --KTM quality and looks nice-- whatta deal-it does seem slightly softer that the stock seat, too. At least the KTM seats nowadays are not as hard as my old KTM 350, I swear you could cleave diamonds on it.

------------------

2001 520EXC KTM

1974 Suzuki TM125

1977 Yamaha DT100

1984 Yamaha DT100

1977 Trail Horse minibike

1986 Honda XR350

The tall seat from KTM is not soft by any means & much like the SX seat as far as being flat.

------------------

Mike Kruger

Cycle Zone KTM

Topeka, KS

866-843-7433 toll free

Originally posted by Mathew:

Jeb - is the MSR seat noticably softer?

Yes, it is but it's not sink in cushy. It makes a world of difference over the course of a days riding, though. Plus it makes it flatter and easier to move and stay forward on. I think the stuff Mike has is the same, though. Most of them are made by one company. That's a heck of a deal on the seat Mike has. I'm tempted to get them just for spares!

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Although I was a little scared of taking a seat apart and never getting all the wrinkles back out, I took it apart last night and drilled some holes as suggested by CaptainKTM. Since the cover is already formed correctly it went back on easily adn looks perfect so far.

I think it feels softer - although I think it will take a ride to really tell. It is far from cushy, but I was afraid to drill too many holes and end up with too soft. Easy to drill more, hard to put back :).

I may try a tall KTM seat just for kicks as for $80 complete you can't go wrong.

Mathew

Chris, sorry for the delayed response. I have been out of town. Anyway, SDG claimed that they will have the SX style seat. But, that is all that I asked them about. Even the taller EXC or MXC seat will have the flatter better profile. I have found for MX that a soft tall seat may be cushy but is too soft to move back and forth on. The soft foam would be better for long off road riding. In addition, there is no comparison between the SX layout (seat,tank etc.) and the M,EXC version. Hope you off road guys get the updated layout that KTM is working on for 2003. Good luck.

Ken