Sign in to follow this  

New 520/ engine noise

I picked up my new '02 520 EXC yesterday and everything is right with my world now. This thing is very fast and very light in comparison to my old DRZ 400. My question: with the engine in neutral at idle it makes a constant low pitch knocking noise, when the clutch is pulled in the noise goes away. I have not heard this on my other 4 strokes. Is this normal?

Bud C,

The noise is common among the KTM RFS models. Mine makes the same noise and when the clutch lever is pulled in, the noise subsides.

I've heard that the clutch baskets are somewhat loose in the RFS models.

------------------

No Brain, No Pain!

01' KTM 400EXC

01' Yamaha TTR-125L

01' Yamaha TTR-90

00' Honda XR50R

Just to confirm JAFChE said, all of our KTM's (see sig) have done that. Wait until you put a skid plate on it. It'll be even noiseier. I don't really even hear it anymore. I've gotten used to it.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Hey Bud, I see you are in the KC area!! You gonna bring that new pumpkin to the Merwin scramble on Sunday. I'm out on injured reserve but will be conducting the start and helping out w/scoring. There is a good local KC group on Extreme and DRN also. Send me an email and we can hook up. BTW, I have heard that noise on most every Katoom 4stroke I've been around. Jason

Jason - I will not be racing this weekend. I'm actually getting ready to walk out the door, heading to Chadwick for the weekend to break in my new beast. Email me and give me the scoop on the local hare scamble scene, I really won't to start running more races.

Bud@brandycarmen.com

Bud C, I am from the St.Louis area and have ridden at Chadwick in the past. That trail is very gnarly with black diamond trails that are very trials-like in nature. Let us know how the new 520 performed in that environment. As a new owner of an 01 520, I will be interested in your experiences. I had heard they shut Dairy Queen hill down? True?

Ever ride at Finger Lakes in Columbia Mo?

Thanks

JNR

Hey Bud,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing (going from DRZ400 to KTM400 or 520) 'cause I live in Calif. and am tired of the sticker crap. Any advice you can give? 400 vs. 520? Maintenance?

Thanks,

Crash

Crash, switching to the 520 is one of the best choices I've made in a long time. I can't get the smile off my face! Maintainance is a non issue (only had it for three weeks). Go with the 520 you won't regret it.

Bud

JNR, The 520 performed great at Chadwick. I went down one tooth on the counter and that helped on the tight stuff. I would recommend the fan kit for this tight riding. The suspension sucked up the nasty rocks much better than my old DRZ and the smooth power was great. Dairy Queen was open, we went down it (not up!). I have a freind who lives in Columbia and we ride Finger lakes often, pretty good riding but nothing like Chadwick.

Bud

Originally posted by jeb:

Just to confirm JAFChE said, all of our KTM's (see sig) have done that. Wait until you put a skid plate on it. It'll be even noiseier. I don't really even hear it anymore. I've gotten used to it.

jeb use weather stripping on your frame before you put on the skid plate - it not

only will reduce the noise but helps the bottom frame rails from getting chewd up.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

One of the recent motorcycle magazines features the 2002 520. I recall them mentioning this "problem" and providing a solution. Try the recent Dirt Bike or TransworldMX magazines. If I run across it I will let you know.

Originally posted by Bud C:

Crash, switching to the 520 is one of the best choices I've made in a long time. I can't get the smile off my face! Maintainance is a non issue (only had it for three weeks). Go with the 520 you won't regret it.

Bud

Thanks Bud. I'm about a month or so from making a decision, so I'd be interested to hear how you are getting along with your "great pumpkin" after a few more rides.

From another post, I hear that the 520 will get a green sticker here in Calif., and if you order the "G" model 400, it too will get a greenie. I need to confirm this with a local dealer, but if it's true, I may be a member of team orange real soon. :)

Crash

Thanks Tbob, I'll have to try that. Makes sense. While on the subject, has anyone found a good commonly available non-water absorbing foam to tuck between the engine and skidplate to keep mud from getting in?

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)