"Best" oil to use in RFS. (520)

HELP!!! My dealer told me NEVER use Synthetic oil in my bike. He says NONE of those high dollar oils work good with Wet Clutchs, that plain old Castrol GTX 20/50 is the best stuff to run!!! Then, I notice in the manual, it says to run synthetic !!

Mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic...kinda speny but good stuff.

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

Mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic is 10W-40, not the recommended viscosity.

There are very few synthetic choices in correct viscosity range, 15W-40 or 15W-50.

Friend of mine with 400EXC likes Motul. Says it makes his tranny shift smoother.

I like Silkolene Pro-4 15W-50 synthetic. My tranny also shifts good, but I note less oil foaming in the sight glass compared to other oils. Seems to release entrained gases. It pours differently too...something about it I like. Also like the red color! One thing I don't like, the price...$10/qt., but I sleep better.

'01 KTM 520 EXC

'95 Suzuki DR350 Dirt

'01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/ZF-6spd

I use Motul as well. I don't spend much time worrying about which oil I use, but I know that as soon as I put Motul in I had no trouble finding neutral - but before I put it in it was tough to find - running or not.

Mobil 1 15w-40 for me. Buy it anywhere - usually for $4.00 per quart or so. 600 miles so far - clutch seems to work smoothly for me. As often as people change the oil in these bikes (me included) - I think just about any oil will be fine for long engine life.

My feeling is USAGE has the biggest impact on a clutch as opposed to which oil is being used. I hardly touch mine except to get moving - so I am not worried about any oil that I used. What hurts a clutch is the amount of heat you put into it - light slipping in 1st or 2nd with little power applied should never be a problem - heavy throttle slipping in higher gears can smoke any clutch with any oil. I think I read a post of someone riding in 3rd the whole time and using the clutch to make an "automatic" out of it. This clutch will not last as long as mine. Point is - the clutch is HIGHLY effected by the rider. With that said - if you are really hard on a clutch - some oils may help it to keep from slipping a little bit longer.

Just my $0.02.

'01 KTM 520 EXC

It does matter what oil you use. Watch out for friction modifiers that are prevelent in a lot of oils. They won't work well with a wet clutch. I use Mobil 1 MX4T. Go to their web site and read about their oils. IMO, this is the one to use! Around $7 a bottle at most any automotive store.

Which Motul ? 300V 5W40 ?? Thanks!

Best is what we are all using isn't it. I use SPECTRO 4 petroleum oil. I'm a big clutch user. Not to shift but to control bike in all throttle ranges. You can call me a big slipper.

(AMA, Dist.36, BRC) Lifetime Memberships

Me too Ret!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ponch
      I have a 2007 450 EXC that I recently installed a new clutch slave cylinder on. Per the 2007 KTM service manual it clearly states that the clutch needs to be filled with hydraulic oil, which I did (magura blood). That was yesterday. I went out to double check the level today and when I removed the cover, the rubber seal was all contorted and out of shape. I then looked at the cover and it's a Brembo clutch and says "DOT 4 brake fluid only".
      I flushed the line and the master cylinder about 7 times with DOT 4 brake fluid and there was no sign of the magura blood left in the system. My question is: other than the rubber boot on the master cylinder, what damage might have been done by putting in the hydraulic oil? It was in for about 24 hours.
      Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By pumpernickelBrad
      Hi Folks!

Sorry if there are a bunch of threads already but I used the site's search function and didn't find anything so far...

I just found a decent deal on a '14 350 EXC-F with 11k km (unknown hours). Has a few goodies including skid plate, hand guards and it's for sale for about $2k CAD less than a '16 with 6k km on it.
      The bike is in showroom condition (appearance) with no indication it has been offroad at all.

What would be the gotchas that would make this deal realistic? I'm coming from a WR250R where the engine lasts forever, is 11k street kms high for these bikes? 
      Are there any big defects in the '14s that I haven't dug up yet?
      With no service records what things should be done, checked, etc?
    • By Brannnt
      I purchased an '06 525 EXC some time ago, and recently pulled the motor out of the frame to address some other issues. When I removed the clutch slave cylinder, I noticed an issue the previous owner neglected to tell me about during the purchase.
      It appears that at some point, the chain broke and damaged the engine case near the clutch slave cylinder (see pics, please). I have noticed that the clutch does not fully disengage (bike lurches a bit going into gear, neutral is hard to find... its worse when engine is cold) ... I did not notice any leaks around this area (mineral oil or engine oil) before or during disassembly. 
      The previous owner (or someone) repaired it with some sort of epoxy.
      Without doing my due diligence (checking clutch fluid level, bleeding) I hesitate to state that this is the cause of my clutch disengagement issue ... but pardon my ignorance here and help me out: How bad is this?  Am I looking at replacing my engine case here or is the previous owner's jerry rig good enough?

• By Black Sox
      Just bought a new 2017 350 excf ,will be doing 98% off road ,ordered skid plate bark busters ,
      my ? Is what's the best easiest way to eliminate rear fender light assembly.I still would like to have a break light.
      xcf fender will fit so dealer says,under $50.00 👍But xcf brake light $125.00 .👎What's the best economical way of doing this?
    • By JNV
      Hi friends from Spain.
      Mi new KTM