Looking to buy, but EXC SCX or ??

Greetings, I am looking to upgrade from my 1991 dr350. I had been looking at husabergs, but they seem to have some bearing issues that I do not want to deal with. I love the low weight of the KTM and that has now topped my list. Is the SXC kick start only? and for those of you that have them, it seems 4-speeds would be quite limiting---am I incorrect about this. I belive I want a 2000-2001 ktm 400 e/xc or a new drz400e. What do y'all think. I read through most of this forum and think I would be ok with any of these choices (even though, I would convert to dual sport 10% street 90% dirt) I am in las vegas and the stuff out here is rocky, gravly, sandy, etc. and I enjoy lower speed riding. Please E-mail me if you have a 400 exc for sale.

thanks

--marc

The SXC is some sort of dual sport KTM bike and should not be confused with the '00-'02 400/520SX's. Totally different bikes. The SX's are kick start only.

I'd think the 4 speed would be limiting for your application of some dual sporting. The EXC is the only KTM RFS that comes with lights. That and the wider ratio tranny would make it the better choice for any road use. KTM warns that none of the RFS's are made for road use, though. However, people do use them for dualsporters and seem to have no problems.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Thanks for you thoughts, I read the stuff on not dual sporting and I feel that I won't see much pavement anyway so I should be OK. I definately want an electric start. So, who has a 400 exc for sale?! If I don't here something soon, I may have to go yellow with the DRZe!

Are you looking for new or used? The 02's just came out so you should be able to find an 02 400EXC if you call some of the dealers on ktmusa's website ( http://www.ktmusa.com/dealers.htm ).

For used, you can look here, dirtrider.net or Holeshot ( http://www.holeshotforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi ) for classifieds. I'd lean towards an '01 over an '00 just because the '01s came with wider radiators for better cooling and somewhat better suspension specs.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)