Sign in to follow this  

Recommended oil change interval for 400 exc?

I would say most of us chang our oil every 150 - 200 miles. I chang my filters every other oil chang. good luck !

THe factory recommends changing oil every 100 liters of fuel. Which is 26 gal. If you multiply 26x 30mpg you get 780miles before oil changes. I have changed mine every 500mi.and I have over 3600 miles on it with no problems except for the water pump. Factory also states that if you race it you should replace it after every ride.If you are just trail riding and changing oil every 150-200 miles you are wasting your money.

------------------

TWIST&SHOUT

I change mine every 300 - I change the filters every 3rd oil change. Oil looks

plenty dirty at 300 - I wouldn't want to

run it any longer.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

If your oil looks plenty dirty, how does your filters look after 900miles?

Originally posted by DOC:

If your oil looks plenty dirty, how does your filters look after 900miles?

They never look bad - just oily :)

Can't realy see much on them so I'm guessing

they are o.k. - what should I be looking for?

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

I read in the DR article by Tom Moen, that if you didn't do the screens at the same time as the oil change, you wouldn't get all the old oil out. Is this true or did I just interpret it wrong?

[This message has been edited by StormTrooper (edited September 12, 2001).]

Originally posted by StormTrooper:

I read in the DR article by Tom Moen, that if you didn't do the screens at the same time as the oil change, you wouldn't get all the old oil out. Is this true or did I just interpret it wrong?

[This message has been edited by StormTrooper (edited September 12, 2001).]

I didn't hear that but it could be true - I noticed when I put oil back in it only takes

just a tad over 1 quart. Guess I should be pulling the small screen every time? Does anyone know the skinny?

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Hey TBOB,

How often do you clean your screens? Are they dirty when you do? Also, cool picture of CO! I wished I was there now! :)

I do the screens at the same time 900miles-

not because they need it - they never have

hardly anything in them. I think it's just good to make sure - if you had alot of metal

particals in them you know somethings wrong.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

I now clean the screens each time I change oil at about 200 miles. A fair amount of oil does run out of the bottom screen hole and a bit comes out of the side, too. That's the only reason I pull them each time. They never have much of anything on them.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

There is a "Tech Special" article in the August issue of Dirt Bike regarding RFS oil changes. The article is by Tom Moen "ace KTM Wrench" and step 4 says, "If you don't remove and clean these screens, you won't get half of the old oil out of your motor." Sounds like a must do each time you change your oil! Not to start an oil debate again, but the oil being used is Spectro 4 10w40 and I believe it's non-synthetic(?).

There is a "Tech Special" article in the August issue of Dirt Bike regarding RFS oil changes. The article is by Tom Moen "ace KTM Wrench" and step 4 says, "If you don't remove and clean these screens, you won't get half of the old oil out of your motor." Sounds like a must do each time you change your oil! Not to start an oil debate again, but the oil being used is Spectro 4 10w40 and I believe it's non-synthetic(?).

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I would say that they are totally exaggerating when they say you won't get 1/2 the oil out - I would say more like 150ml.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Looks like you're right. Spectro 4, according to Spectro's web site ( http://www.spectro-oils.com/products.htm ), is non-synthetic. Spectro Golden 4 is a semi-synthetic. If there was a 4 in the name, it doesn't look like it was a fully synthetic at any rate.

That does make sense but I wonder if it was the Golden 4. The RFS service classes were telling the dealers to advise semi-synthetic. I have the magazine at home but I'm months behind on reading. I have 4 pages left on Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War" and then it's catch up time.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

The 1/2 statement might be just an estimate, but when I change my oil I want to ensure that all, or most, of the old oil is out. Like Jeb, I even use a syringe to extract the used oil in the filter cavities. I'm looking at the article and there is a clear picture of the oil Tom is using. It says Spectro 4. I'm still using Mobil 1 MX4T though! :)

"but when I change my oil I want to ensure that all, or most, of the old oil is out."

Agreed! - and I'll stick with Mobil 1 15-50 :)

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

I changed the oil in my 520 to Spectro 4 premium petroleum engine motorcycle lubricant right out of the crate. I change oil after every race and after 2 to 4 play ride rides depending on how hard and far we ride. I get about 1/2 the oil out of the bottom screens or pretty close to it when I change oil. I check and or clean screens and SS oil filters on oil changes. I imagine you could go a lot longer between oil changes if you wanted to but cost and time are not a problem for me. Their are a lot of good oils out there for the RFS's, pick one and ride on!

------------------

(AMA, Dist.36, BRC) Lifetime Memberships

Turns out I wasn't THAT far behind on my mag's. I had to look up the August article in my 'archive' (read stack). As StormTrooper says, it's the non-synthetic Spectro 4 in 10w-40. I'll stay with the Belray semi-synthetic EXP, though. Interesting, though.

I wonder if, for just an oil change, just pulling the lower screen would get all the oil out? My magnet rarely has anything on it anyway. I may pull that plug first next just to see. I've been pulling the drain plug first, then the lower screen. As stated, also by StormTrooper, 1/2 is certainly an over statement.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

[This message has been edited by jeb (edited September 14, 2001).]

I change my oil and clean screens every time I ride. I use 20/50 Castrol non syn. as do my buddies that have 400 E's also. change filters after break-in 3 rides and then every 5 rides from then on. I buy oil by the case on sale it costs me approx. $1.50 to change each time and have the time down to about 15 minutes. Use Wd-40 and air to clean screens instead of carb or brake clean that can swell the o-rings on your screens. WD works just as well. I have destroyed filters removed just to see what was in them and can report the screes/mag plug are doing the job. I currently own a 02 400 and have 01 400 for sale. ps carry extra o-rings for screens and filters they are cheap and I've seen 2 guys with leaks who wish they had.