Static and Race Sag

I've had my '01 520 EXC since April and - pretty much - rode it right out of the box. All I did was add the handguards, skidplate, etc and rode it. The only thing that took some getting used to was how soft it felt. It seemed like the rear really sunk when I sat on it. I'm in the 200 lb range and learned, through TT, that it's probably undersprung for me - but I don't have $250 to re-spring it right now.

Over the weekend I finally got hold of a metric measuring tape so I checked out the sag measurments. Static sag was at 5.5 cm and the total drop (with me on the pegs) was at 14 cm. Both were out of tolerance, so I pulled the rear shock unit and increased the spring tension 1 cm and put it back in. This changed my static sag to 2 cm and my total drop to 10.5 cm. The static sag is about 1 cm too short and my total drop is about a half cm too long - but I sure noticed a difference when I sat on the bike! Before, both feet were flat on the ground. Now I'm on the balls of my feet when I sit down. It's more like what I'm used to. I was pretty happy with what I'd accomplished. I probably still need a spring, but this should work until I can swing the purchase.

While I was at it, I checked the forks and they are sagging too much too. I remember somebody had a post here on how to increase static sag. Does it have to be done with spacers or is there an adjustment that can be done? I remember somebody saying they made spacers out of PVC. Was it 1 1/2 inch stuff? I want to get the front end tightened up a bit too before I ride it. It's finally starting to cool off a bit, so it won't be long now...

Thanks

Alan

Originally posted by Arbellspi:

I've had my '01 520 EXC since April and - pretty much - rode it right out of the box. All I did was add the handguards, skidplate, etc and rode it. The only thing that took some getting used to was how soft it felt. It seemed like the rear really sunk when I sat on it. I'm in the 200 lb range and learned, through TT, that it's probably undersprung for me - but I don't have $250 to re-spring it right now.

Over the weekend I finally got hold of a metric measuring tape so I checked out the sag measurments. Static sag was at 5.5 cm and the total drop (with me on the pegs) was at 14 cm. Both were out of tolerance, so I pulled the rear shock unit and increased the spring tension 1 cm and put it back in. This changed my static sag to 2 cm and my total drop to 10.5 cm. The static sag is about 1 cm too short and my total drop is about a half cm too long - but I sure noticed a difference when I sat on the bike! Before, both feet were flat on the ground. Now I'm on the balls of my feet when I sit down. It's more like what I'm used to. I was pretty happy with what I'd accomplished. I probably still need a spring, but this should work until I can swing the purchase.

While I was at it, I checked the forks and they are sagging too much too. I remember somebody had a post here on how to increase static sag. Does it have to be done with spacers or is there an adjustment that can be done? I remember somebody saying they made spacers out of PVC. Was it 1 1/2 inch stuff? I want to get the front end tightened up a bit too before I ride it. It's finally starting to cool off a bit, so it won't be long now...

Thanks

Alan

Alan - I have played around with the rear spring on my bike alot and found static needs

to be 35mm on the PDS. Even though race sag is critical and you should get the right springs for best performance, cranking down

too much on the pre-load will just get you a rear end that works horibly (IMHO) sett the static at 35mm untill you can get the right spring is the best your gona do. As far as the front goes you can and preload to get

your front static sag to between 30-40mm

Yes- you can make the spacers out of the right size PVC. Again this isn't the best way to go - correct spring weight is but this

will at least make things a little better off

until you can get the right springs. Added more oil or reducing your fork air gap will help with the bottoming.

Good luck,

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ