Sign in to follow this  

dual sporting a 520/400 EXC?

What's the latest consensus on dual-sporting the '02 520/400EXC?

I'm basically looking for a modern, green-sticker dirt bike to convert to dual-sport. All of the factory dual-sports are too heavy and more street oriented. I'm 31, 5'11", 165lbs and will probably ride 75% dirt / 25% street. The dirt will be mostly trails, but I want something that can easily handle the jumps when I get to them. Street will mainly be backroads and neighborhoods.

How many of you have successfully dual-sported this bike?

Cons that I have heard are:

-not having a cush hub

-thin 5th & 6th gears

-KTM doesn't recommend it

-oil capacity

How major are these cons, and are there any others?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Several people here have DS'ed both the 400 and the 520. I have an ELINE dual sport kit on my 520. It is awesome. All the things you list appear to be unwarranted fears. Many people have Dual Sported the RFS's and I have not heard of one actually failure.

Small world...I also live in Pleasanton, and am thinking of doing the same thing. One question I have is, is the '02 EXC a green sticker bike? I have a '01 DRZ400 now, but due to the sticker problem, I'm thinking of selling it and getting the KTM.

I've also heard about the oil problems (too little oil so it gets dirty fast and needs to be changed VERY frequently...might just be BS, but that's what I'm hearing/reading).

Where are you thinking of getting your bike? Have you ordered it yet? Are you getting the 400 or 520? I saw an add for one shop in Fresno that has the '02 520 in stock...tempting.... :)

Crash

I wonder how "green sticker eligible" works? In Calif., they go by the VIN number. If the VIN on the '02 KTMs incorporates the Calif. code, and the 8th digit is a 3 or a C, no amount of jetting changes will get it a green sticker. Sure, some folks have been getting greens with new 2 strokes, but that's the messed up DMV. On renewal (2 yrs.), they'll have it figured out and change them to reds.

Anyone out there with a '02 400 or 520EXC in Calif.? Can you confirm for me that your VIN has/doesn't have a 3 or C in the 8th spot? The only dealer around that has a bike in stock that I could look at is about a 4 hr. drive round trip, and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to (and not that I don't trust them, but calling them on the phone isn't the same as peeking at the steering stem :)).

Thanks.

Crash

KTM is making an '02 RFS that is green sticker eligible! From the folks I talked to that went to the dealer meeting a few weeks ago, it has been done with only jetting changes. KTM even supplies you with the jets that would have been used had this measure not been necessary.

This will make street licensing very easy. The best kit that I have found is from trickdualsport.com. Super easy install and extremely durable.

These bikes aren't real dual sports though. They are barely streetable dirtbikes. Exactly what I want!!!!!

------------------

aka Rich

1996 300 EXC

(dual sported)

1987 Suzuki LT250R

(Glamis chrome beast)

dr crashr

I have actually looked at the number on an 02 520. There is no 3 or C at the 8th digit.

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80

Originally posted by drcrashr:

Anyone out there with a '02 400 or 520EXC in Calif.? Can you confirm for me that your VIN has/doesn't have a 3 or C in the 8th spot?

I'm a California resident but purchased a 400 EXC from an Oregon dealership...the VIN has a 3 in the 8th digit. I have been told by two California dealerships that there will be two models available this year (both "red" and "green"). The green, aka the "G" model, presumably will not have the condemning 3 or C in the 8th digit of the VIN.

The 02 owner's manual lists the "G" model under the basic carburetion settings. It looks like everything but the needle and its clip position, and the mixture control screw opening, are the same (OBDTM vs OBDVR and 1 vs 1.25 on 49 state and 400 EXC-G models respectively).

Originally posted by drcrashr:

I've also heard about the oil problems (too little oil so it gets dirty fast and needs to be changed VERY frequently...might just be BS, but that's what I'm hearing/reading).

Where are you thinking of getting your bike? Have you ordered it yet? Are you getting the 400 or 520? I saw an add for one shop in Fresno that has the '02 520 in stock...tempting.... :)

Crash

Thanks for all the replies everyone. So far, it sounds like nobody has had any problems dual-sporting the exc's.

Dr. Crash,

I received a reply from somebody on the DRN forum who has 3000km on an '01 supermotard 400exc with no problems. I'm waiting for his response on how often he needs to change his oil.

I haven't ordered yet and it'll probably be another 6 months before I do. I'm just looking into the pros/cons of all the available bikes right now. So far, the KTM's definitely in the lead.

Pete

Thanks very much for looking into this guys. So, from what I've heard so far, it looks like for '02, if you want a "green" KTM in Calif., you either have to order the "special" model from your dealer, or get your bike from a neighboring state and transfer it after 90 days. My worry on the "special" model is, what if it gets a red sticker? I mean, the DMV here is totally screwed up, so there's a real good chance they'd mess it up. Then I'd be right back in the same boat I'm in now. I wonder if I could make a green sticker a condition of the sale?

Ugh...what a mess. I guess I could just wait until the DMV here pulls their heads out......WAHAHAHA......right..... :)

Crash