cant get my WR250 to start

It ran fine the first day I got it (yesterday lol) it would start first kick everytime, then it fell over while loading and then it wouldn't kick start at all, I can still push start it and it runs like a top after its going but the damn thing wont start by kicking it at all, no matter what I do, any thoughts? its a 2002 if that helps.

yes, its out of gear, when its cold I choke it, give a pump or two of throttle, hold in the compression lever and kick..........nothing.......even when I push start it and run it for a while then turn it off and hot start it............nothing

NOOOOOOO!!!!! You're flooding it. Mine starts 2nd kick, choke on, no throttle pumping.

Cold engine starting (www.Thumperfaq.com)

1. Make sure the bike has fuel, turn on fuel petcock.

2. Pull out choke knob (black knob on left side of the carburetor).

3. Dubach says Prime the engine by giving the throttle two full turns (only if the bike has not been started in a day or two). I personally never touch the throttle when starting, hot or cold.

4. Apply firm pressure to the kick-starter with your foot until you hit distinct resistance (this is the compression stroke).

5. While keeping pressure on the kick-starter, pull in the compression release lever and push the kick-starter past the compression stroke. The kick-starter needs to only move about 1 to 2 inches past the hard spot. That is all!

6. Release the compression release lever and return the kick-starter to the top.

7. Now, kick to start. Do not touch the throttle, as the engine will start and idle on it's own. If the bike does not start, repeat steps 4 through 7 only until the engine starts.

----------------------

I never 'prime' the engine either. Starts and runs like a champ

If you are holding the decomp down while you kick, it won't start...

If it is flooded, it won't start....

If the valves are starting to tighten up, it will become increasingly harder to start, especially when hot.

If you do a search in this forum for "hard starting" you will find numerous threads that will help you diagnose your issue....

RH

use the hot start turn the fuel off, pull in the decomp lever, slowly open throttle right up hold it open and keep kicking it... WHen you hear a small back fire the fuel ahs been burnt.

Now try and start it with hot start out with absolutely no throttle!

If it still wont go, your plug will be cronically fouled! Replace ans she'll fire up 1st kick

My starting procedure, '01 wr250f.

1. turn on fuel

2. pull choke if it's sat for 2-3 days.

3.Pull compression lever and kick bike over slow 4-5 times.

4. Release comp lever and give starter a good kick.

5. do not touch throttle at all until bike idles for at least 5 seconds.Never fails.

Hot start

1. I have a remote hot start that is variable. Open all the way, then back off a little.

2. Pull compression release and kick bike slow 2-3 times.

3. Release lever and give a good kick.

4. Do not touch throttle until it is running for a couple of seconds.

5. Close hot start valve and power shift through at least four gears. Wheeeeee!!!!

Great info but it doesnt hurt to give one or two sharp twists to the throttle on really cold mornings. What that does is make the AP squirt extra fuel into the cylinder. If done to much or on warm days you will for sure flood it.

NOOOOOOO!!!!! You're flooding it. Mine starts 2nd kick, choke on, no throttle pumping.

Cold engine starting (www.Thumperfaq.com)

1. Make sure the bike has fuel, turn on fuel petcock.

2. Pull out choke knob (black knob on left side of the carburetor).

3. Dubach says Prime the engine by giving the throttle two full turns (only if the bike has not been started in a day or two). I personally never touch the throttle when starting, hot or cold.

4. Apply firm pressure to the kick-starter with your foot until you hit distinct resistance (this is the compression stroke).

5. While keeping pressure on the kick-starter, pull in the compression release lever and push the kick-starter past the compression stroke. The kick-starter needs to only move about 1 to 2 inches past the hard spot. That is all!

6. Release the compression release lever and return the kick-starter to the top.

7. Now, kick to start. Do not touch the throttle, as the engine will start and idle on it's own. If the bike does not start, repeat steps 4 through 7 only until the engine starts.

----------------------

I never 'prime' the engine either. Starts and runs like a champ

au contrare--my bike becomes increasingly difficult to start when COLD when the valves are in need of re-shimming or replacement. I just ran into this problem and my bike would start by pushing, or pulling it, but not by kicking. Once running, it started fine the rest of the day, unless I let it get too cool. hot start button not needed.

Get an '03 E cam--it makes starting much easier than ever.

But before checking the valves, do check the plug and try a new one, without giving it any gas or touching the throttle at all.

• 1 month later...

it fell over while loading ?> close the fuel petcock ..tilt it to the left side and wait until the carburetor-chamber is emptied... kick it 10times with decomp pulled (throttle closed !!!) and start it as usual. should work

:applause:

P.S. and as mentioned before: don't turn the throttle ?

PP.S. you don't need to reshim the bike everytime you tip it over :ride: