'02 EXCs green sticker in Calif.

FWIW, I just got "confirmation" from a local dealer that both the '02 520EXC and '02 400EXC will be green sticker legal here in Calif. Apparently the Calif. dealers are only ordering the "G" model of the 400 (at least that's all this dealer is getting), which comes with different jetting than the other model, but most importantly, it has a VIN stamped on it that gets it a green stickie. The dealer will supply the jets necessary to set it up like the bikes for the other 49 states (the Calif. jetting makes the bike run a bit too lean).

Wonder if the wife will notice a new orange bike in the garage? :)

Crash

Where are you in CA, drcrashr? Which dealer are you talking to?

Re: the wife - as you slowly build up a good garage full of bikes, it becomes harder and harder for the womenfolk to notice just one more bike... :)

Any idea on how to get a 2001 400 exc eligible for the green sticker?

Mike

------------------

2001 KTM 400 exc. No upgrades, comes out of the box ready to ride.

I'm in the Bay Area, Pleasanton to be exact. I'm talking with Wilson's in Fresno, as they're the only dealer around that claims to be able to get me a bike before December.

As for the wife, I took the high road and cleared it with her ahead of time. Saves notches in her rolling pin.... :)

Crash

Hey Mike,

Well, I'm going to assume the '01 bike is a red sticker bike, or you wouldn't be asking..... :)

The only way I know to "convert" a red sticker bike is to do the Vermont (or similar) out of state licensing deal. Search the DRZ and WR groups using the word Vermont and you'll get most of the info. you need on how to go about this. The only caveat is it's not perfect, so you may end up with a Calif. plate (so you don't need the sticker), or you might not. I was going to go this route with my DRZ, but once I heard the '02 EXCs get a green sticker, I decided to sell my DRZ and get the KTM. Now if that dealer would just call saying my new toy is in....

Crash

Originally posted by Mike in Roseville:

Any idea on how to get a 2001 400 exc eligible for the green sticker?

Mike

drcrasher,

have you checked with Scuderia West in SF? I searced all over the freakin' state & didn't like what I found. They claimed to be getting some by the end of this month.

http://www.scuderia.com/

Wilsons just called me yesterday & offered my a 520exc.......for over 8700 otd!!!!! That included a $788 "setup" fee!!! No thanks.

Good luck!!!!

Drcrashr - do you suppose we might be able to put together some sort of

'buying power' deal then, as I am seriously (but not certainly) considering

purchasing the 520exc soon.

I've spoken with Wilsons, and they are quoting somthing like 8700 otd, with

'some room' to negotiate, but 'not a lot, based on demand' - perhaps more

discounting would be available if they could sell two at once? Who knows...

I like Scuderia in S.F., having bought my Falco from them, and IMX in

Hayward seems decent - have you checked with either of those dealers for

price/availability on the 520?

JT and Rod,

Yeah, I checked with IMX and they said "maybe in Dec., but not sure" for a 400. They also made the claim that nobody else could get me a 400 sooner, so that immediately took them off my list (I hate that sort of crap). The 520EXC is in stock at Wilson's, but since I'm interested in the "little bike", I didn't ask for their 520 price. The 400 is around $7300 OTD. And yes, they are not interested in moving the price much due to demand. I have NOT checked with the shop in S.F., so maybe that's another place to check if the the guys at Wilson's don't call me back (they told me they'd have a bike for me next week).

Rod, if you want to try for a "volume" deal, I'm game, but given the demand due to the '02's getting green stickers, I doubt they'll deal much, if at all. Let me know. You can reach me directly at drcrashr@yahoo.com.

Crash

[This message has been edited by SLO JT (edited September 27, 2001).]

Crash,

Your definition of OTD must be different than mine. The 400 retails for $250 less than the 520. Wilson's 520exc is $8,700 "OTD" so a 400 must be around $8400 otd. Watch out for them.....they add $788 to every bike for "setup." That's the highest I've ever seen. The guys at the SF shop were about $500 cheaper. You should give them a call. (FYI, I don't have any connection to them, just liked them when I talked to them on the phone. No BS, just normal guys.)

No, my def. is "Out The Door", just like others. If they gave me a low-ball number to get me to order from them, then I guess I'll have words with them provided they ever call me re. the bike. I ordered the bike about a month ago (gave them a deposit), so maybe they moved the price up in recent weeks due to demand. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the info. on the guys in S.F. It's always nice to hear about a decent dealer from someone that's actually purchased stuff from them.

Take care,

Crash

Originally posted by SLO JT:

Crash,

Your definition of OTD must be different than mine. The 400 retails for $250 less than the 520. Wilson's 520exc is $8,700 "OTD" so a 400 must be around $8400 otd. Watch out for them.....they add $788 to every bike for "setup." That's the highest I've ever seen. The guys at the SF shop were about $500 cheaper. You should give them a call. (FYI, I don't have any connection to them, just liked them when I talked to them on the phone. No BS, just normal guys.)

I am also in the market for a 400exc. I checked Wilson's $8,400 otd. That is insane. He said he could give me a 520 for the same price. I can get a Canadian 400exc for about $6,800 delivered(net price - you have to pay canadian tax then get it refunded) . Only problem is no green sticker, would have to go vermont route to get it legal. Have you guys tried Moore & sons in Santa Cruz, Powerhouse, IMX or any other dealers in the general area? Let me know what kind of prices are out there!! Thanks

How much is a green sticker worth? I bought an out-of-state '02 520exc for WAY less than the going Ca rate. But no green sticker. I did, however, get a license plate that I'll convert to Ca plate soon.

It's not a route for everyone, but it is an alternative to waiting serveral months and paying hundreds over retail.

SLO JT - Care to share where you bought your bike? What was the OTD price, and how much to ship it? Can you give me the phone # of the dealer? Thanks much!

Malcolm Smith's in Riverside wants approx. 8400 OTD (the "real" OTD) for a 520EXC. They aren't willing to budge much, because they sell all they get at that price. If you can get one for 7600 OTD, "ride it like you stole it".

------------------

Holeshot's Page

Johnmix_2,

Did you happen to catch my hometown? Where are you from?

I bought the bike from Fun Mart Cycle in Moline, Ill. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.funmartcycle.com/

If you call, ask for Tim. Here's a bike they have up for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=596079012&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1002635855&indexURL=0&rd=1

The auction price is only $5900 right now. It'll be much higher at the end of the auction. But if it's not, I'll buy another and sell it!!! grin.gif

I paid $7,400 otd, including delivery to my front door. That also included an Ill license plate that I'll convert to Ca later.

Where do you ride, Pozo????

I almost bought a bike through Wilsons a couple of years ago. They quoted a very low price for a yz250 (can't remember the exact price, but it was the lowest I could find at the time). When it came time to consumate the deal they tacked on a number of fees that made their price amongst the highest I had seen. I didn't like their business tactics so I cancelled the deal. FWIW I ended up buying a Canadian 2000 WR400 for $5900 OTD. It has the correct vin# and is dual-sported. A nice bike. Yamaha customer service sucks though. When it comes time to buy a new toy I'll probably go orange, maybe red, but definetly not blue.

Mike

Well, since I started this, guess I'll follow up. Seems the fine folks at KTM have delayed, for some reason, delivery of 400exc's to sunny CA. Every dealer started saying "3-6 weeks" as of this past Monday. One of the dealers I talked to (Scuderia in San Fran.) had a 520EXC sitting on the showroom floor because the dude that ordered it couldn't take delivery. Long story short, it's now sittin in my garage and I canceled the Wilson's order (not sure why, but Wilson's seemed pissed...seemed odd since they can sell those things all day long once they get them).

Anyway, took the big girl for a quick spin and I think I made the right choice. For those folks like me that didn't know whether to go 400 or 520, just buy the 520 and never look back. wink.gif The big girl barks, snorts, rattles and bangs, and gets from 0 to way fast in a hurry. Wanted to keep things mellow while I break her in. Think I'll be WAY happier once I get her back to factory jetting (the "G" models come WAY too lean (45 pilot, leaner needle), but passes CA emissions). IMO don't even ride the bike until you put the factory parts back in, which KTM thoughtfully provides with the bike.

See ya on the trails....

Crash

SLO JT,

You make a really great point re. "How much is a green sticker worth?". It's sad, but it comes down to exactly that. There are LOTS of great bikes out there, both 2 and 4 stroke. But, thx to the brain damaged DMV here in CA, our choices with regards to green sticker bikes (and 12 months of riding vs. 5-6) are REALLY limited. For '02, I think it boils down to Honda XRs, Kawasaki KLX, KTM EXCs, and maybe some Husabergs and Husqvarnas. That's it! So, unless you want a trail/play bike, you will pay bunches for the faster bikes. Granted, the KTMs, etc., come ready to race out of the crate, but it's still a lot of cabbage.

For the KTMs, yes, you can get a "49 state" bike about $500-1000 less than a CA "G" model and ship it here, but no green stickie. So, I guess that's your answer. Green stickers are worth about $500-1000. frown.gif

Crash

Originally posted by SLO JT:

How much is a green sticker worth? I bought an out-of-state '02 520exc for WAY less than the going Ca rate. But no green sticker. I did, however, get a license plate that I'll convert to Ca plate soon.

It's not a route for everyone, but it is an alternative to waiting serveral months and paying hundreds over retail.