'02 MX/C registration

So do you have to have lights on your bike to get a green sticker here in California?

I'm just wondering why my 2002 520 MX/C will be red stickered and they are giving the greens to EX/Cs.

So what's the way around this? Register it in Vermont and street legalize it? or does it really matter with regards to most riding in Southern California?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm returning to the sport after a 15 year absence.

Hi Tallman,

Well, here's my $.02....

I've looked into this some, and what I've found is, for Calif., the "magic" is in the VIN number. For '02, KTM is incorporating the Calif. "code" in the VIN. So, if you have a VIN with a 3 or a C in the 8th position, you will be issued a red sticker by the DMV. No amount of lights, etc., will change this. Now, before folks go nuts on me, there are LOTS of cases where the DMV has been screwing up and giving "green" bikes red stickers, and the other way around. Hell, I've even heard of guys getting plates right from the start. However, the DMV has been catching up on their paperwork, and fixing lots of these mistakes. That has meant that some folks with green stickers (and even license plates) are now getting letters from the DMV revoking their current registrations, and issueing new ones (red stickers, of course). One of the ways around this is the Vermont deal, but this isn't a guarantee. In the end you may end up with a Calif. plate, or you may not.

Does any of this matter in So. Cal.? No idea. I live in N. Cal., and it matters a lot for me because the 2 parks I ride most of the time are run by the state, and they check stickers at the front gate. If you don't ride at state parks that check, then I don't think it would matter for you. Go to http://www.offroadrider.com/ and check to see what the rules/regs. are for where you plan to ride.

Hope this helps.

Crash

KTM probably figures that anybody considering dual-sporting their bikes will start with the EX/C model because they already have lights & lighting coil. It's fairly costly for them to get EPA certification and maintain different products for different states even if it is only a jetting change.

Just my $.02,

Pete

Register in Vermont? Tell me more. Does Vermont issue a license plate to all bikes, street legal or not?

Thanks

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80

T Martin,

I suggest you search all groups here at TT and include the word Vermont. There's a ton of posts talking about how to go through that state to get a plate. The short answer is "yes", but it's up to you to make the bike street legal in your home state so you can transfer the VT title and registration.

Crash

Crash:

Thanks. I did not realize you could search the previous posts. I will give it a try.

Take care,

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80