Check your Heim bearing housing for wear!!!

During a recent vacation out of state, I was able to go to a local motocross race and noticed several newer style KTM's being raced. I went over and checked each one and alerted the owner on how much the ridge on the mud flap had worn a groove on the Heim bearing housing on the swingarm. One bike was a brand new KTM520 only ridden 3 times and it already had a groove cut into the bearing housing.

Cut a piece of bicycle tub and put it around the Heim bearing housing or go buy a Heim bearing guard protector (www.erider.ws) to keep the mud flap from rubbing the housing. It doesn't take long for the abrasive plastic in the mud flap to completely chew through your bearing housing. Its usually the two long ridges that run up and down the mud flag that does the most damage to the back side of the housing.

------------------

'01 DRZ400S

'00 KTM250exc

• 4 weeks later...

Tallman,

You will see what we are talking about after about 5 or 6 riders. Its the two ridges that go verticle on the rear mudflap that causes the problem. The last 2002 I looked at still had the ridged mupflag which hacksaws the heck out of the heim bearing housing on the side towards the tire.

Bikes with the 19" rear tire are the worst as the mudflap seems to rub on the bearing housing worst.

A easy way to see what we are talkiong about is to push the mudflap against the bearing housing and then push up and down on the seat to make the suspension move.

I see some dealerships are grinding the ridge off while setting up the bike, so maybe yours is already been modified.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: KTM250rm ]