Scott oil filters

What's the word on these Scott stainless steal replacement filters for the 520 and 400. The advertisements say they're better filters than the paper and are reusable. Anyone use them? Is the performance claims true and are the feasable to clean?

I put 'em in as soon as I picked up my 00 520. I have not had any problems with oil flow, and I do know they picked up a bit of debris after the first few runs. At each oil change, I back flush each filter with contact cleaner, dry them with compressed air, and re-install.

On some filters, Scotts reccomends using the standard rubber grommets instead of the Scotts grommets. I tried to do this on the 520, and ended up tearing one of the KTM grommets while removing it. Outside of these grommets, the quiality and construction is top-notch. They are worth the $$, especially in a RFS engine.

I bought a pair for my 01 520Sx.

So far, they are no different than the paper ones. How am I to tell if they filter better?!?! No blown engine, no problems, so, I think they are fine. Being a high-reving four stroke, and an expensive one at that, I want the oil to be in top notch condition. I change it after every third ride or so (usually a good 3 solid running hours + per ride), and being cleanable filters, if I so desire, I can basicaly have new filters at every oil change!! Usually, I go for two oil changes before I clean the filters, unless I feel energetic. Just knowing that the Scotts filters cost me $140, and the paper filters, $30 every other oil change, means, after 10 oil changes the filters paid for themselves. Having the "no extra cost" of the stainless filters just means I can keep my bike hopefully running that much cleaner, so it should last alot longer.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

This has been a hot subject at times. KTM has said using the SS will void your warranty. The factory, last I heard semi-officially, was testing them to see if they'd bless them or not. That's been a few months now.

The concern I've heard is that the mesh can open up a bit from repeated handeling and expecially from using compressed air to blow them or dry them out. Some people plan to replace them on a yearly basis to answer that concern. At $140 or more per pair, that's pricey. I'm getting my paper filters for $9 per PAIR and I change them every 3rd oil change.

Personally, I'll continue to use paper until I hear from KTM that the SS is okay to use. Even then, given the costs and ease of toss and replace, I'll probably stay with paper.

My $0.02's worth.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

[This message has been edited by jeb (edited September 21, 2001).]

Originally posted by jeb:

This has been a hot subject at times. KTM has said using the SS will void your warranty. The factory, last I heard semi-officially, was testing them to see if they'd bless them or not. That's been a few months now.

The concern I've heard is that the mesh can open up a bit from repeated handeling and expecially from using compressed air to blow them or dry them out. Some people plan to replace them on a yearly basis to answer that concern. At $140 or more per pair, that's pricey. I'm getting my paper filters for $9 per PAIR and I change them every 3rd oil change.

Personally, I'll continue to use paper until I hear from KTM that the SS is okay to use. Even then, given the costs and ease of toss and replace, I'll probably stay with paper.

My $0.02's worth.

I'm with ya jeb -

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Hi Folks:

I have a business of going to large industrial plants to clean industrial oils. Filters act in interesting ways, but the important issue is how clean do they get the oil. I have found that what the manufacturer claims for performance of their filters can be far from reality. The only way I can verify the effectiveness of the various filters is to test the cleanliness of the oil before and after flowing through the filter.

I would be happy to test the various filters if someone is interested enough to send me some to test. Without testing them, however, I would go with what KTM recommends.

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80

T-BOB

Where do you get your filters for $9 a pair.

------------------

TWIST&SHOUT

400jy,

jeb buys them from us for 9.50 a pair. All orders over 50.00 from Cycle Zone ship for free. (US 48)

------------------

Mike Kruger

Cycle Zone KTM

Topeka, KS

866-843-7433 toll free

KTM of Mojave has after market paper filters for $9 per pair for the RFS four strokes.

Clark

I just paid $37 for 2 filters. $37. That is so high and it included my 10% discount for buying a bike.

Stainless ones shipped to Australia are $330.

I heard somebody say the other day that we are the lucky country. They obviously don't own a RFS. (A poor excuse at humor, with recent events, we most likely are)

Originally posted by KTMMIKE:

400jy,

jeb buys them from us for 9.50 a pair. All orders over 50.00 from Cycle Zone ship for free. (US 48)

Mike's right. It's $9.50 and I get them from him. Mike is awesome to work with, folks. Outstanding service, advice, prices, etc. I've never received a wrong part or had any hassles dealing with him or his shop. Thanks Mike!!

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

Originally posted by jeb:

Mike's right. It's $9.50 and I get them from him. Mike is awesome to work with, folks. Outstanding service, advice, prices, etc. I've never received a wrong part or had any hassles dealing with him or his shop. Thanks Mike!!

I second jeb's comments!! Mike is a pleasure to work with.

And many thanks to jeb for all the valuable info he's shared with his posts!! John, you've been a tremendous help. I'd also like to thank the rest of the gang who have helped me prepare for the purchase of my 02 400 EXC through the sharing of knowledge and experiences on this forum!

I had a Scott's filter in my YZ400F and didn't have any problems.

That said, at 70 bucks each and paper ones $9.50 a set, it's a no brainer :D I like having a clean fresh filter everytime! :)

Clark's right call Lori at KTM of Mojave! www.ktmofmojave.com

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

Whew, I may get a few of these 9.50 a pair filters anyway, in case I have any problems with my Scott's.

I have to give up about $33 a pair for the paper "disposable" filters here.

Scotts stainless were no brainer for me with that cost.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Originally posted by AllPork:

And many thanks to jeb for all the valuable info he's shared with his posts!! John, you've been a tremendous help. I'd also like to thank the rest of the gang who have helped me prepare for the purchase of my 02 400 EXC through the sharing of knowledge and experiences on this forum!

You're welcome. I'm very happy to have been of some help. I love to see happy KTM owners.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net