California Plates on my 02 520 EXC

I just finished installing a custom BajaDesigns dual sport kit and my PINK slip showed up in the mail. Went down to the friendly California DVM with my statement of facts signed by a dealer stating the bike had proper brakes and lights, a statement of facts signed by me stating that the bike complied with CHP reg. 888, my PINK slip (title on the vehicle) and proof of insurance and 10 minutes later walked out with my plate and street registration.

Thank KTM for the "G" model in 02 which meets Californias SMOG regs allowing a green sticker and conversion from Off Highway to ON highway.

Its going to be a great dual sport ride.

Clark

Originally posted by Clark Mason:

Thank KTM for the "G" model in 02 which meets Californias SMOG regs allowing a green sticker and conversion from Off Highway to ON highway.

Its going to be a great dual sport ride.

Clark

Hi Clark,

Was the 2002 520 a "G" Model? If not, how did the presence of the 2002 G models make it possible or assist you to street legalize the bike? I have an 02 400 EXC (49 State model) and am debating the best approach to dual sporting (registering in Vermont or California). I'm concerned that if I register the bike in California and get plates for it, that DMV will not renew the registration when it comes up for renewal for the following year.

Yes it was a "G" model it had the correct VIN number to sail through the DMV checks. I had the stator rewound to put out a 140 watts DC (Bajadesigns, $85) and installed a custom dual sport kit $285. If you need the complet kit including turnsignals it will be about $320 for the kit. I had the rear turn signals and use the Acerbis Rally guards with the integral turnsignals for the front--so I did not have to order turn signals in the Baja kit.

Clark

Pork, I see your sig. says you are from the San Fran. area. Did you just move to CA? I'm just wondering, 'cause you say you have a 49 state bike, and the "G" model, sold in Calif. (I don't think any CA dealers sell anything BUT the "G" model, but not sure), is good for not only a green sticker, but as Clark points out, a plate. Just curious 'cause my '02 EXC400E ("G" model) is on order and due in next week.

Thx,

Crash

Originally posted by AllPork:

Hi Clark,

Was the 2002 520 a "G" Model? If not, how did the presence of the 2002 G models make it possible or assist you to street legalize the bike? I have an 02 400 EXC (49 State model) and am debating the best approach to dual sporting (registering in Vermont or California). I'm concerned that if I register the bike in California and get plates for it, that DMV will not renew the registration when it comes up for renewal for the following year.

So, I'm drooling over a 520 EXC at Three Brothers Racing this morning thinking . . . "If only this machine were street legal in California. I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat!" Can it be true? Can I purchase an '02 520 EXC and rely on being able to legally attach a CA plate to it? Please, tell me it's true!

If you think you are excited about a 520 now, wait until you ride one.

Originally posted by Rock:

So, I'm drooling over a 520 EXC at Three Brothers Racing this morning thinking . . . "If only this machine were street legal in California. I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat!" Can it be true? Can I purchase an '02 520 EXC and rely on being able to legally attach a CA plate to it? Please, tell me it's true!

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80

Originally posted by drcrashr:

Pork, I see your sig. says you are from the San Fran. area. Did you just move to CA? I'm just wondering, 'cause you say you have a 49 state bike, and the "G" model, sold in Calif. (I don't think any CA dealers sell anything BUT the "G" model, but not sure), is good for not only a green sticker, but as Clark points out, a plate. Just curious 'cause my '02 EXC400E ("G" model) is on order and due in next week.

Thx,

Crash

Crash,

No, I've been a California resident for about 25 years. The G models are trickling in to the dealers in Northern California. Most dealers, I'm told, will have both models available but the main inventory of 2002 G's won't be available in the Bay Area until sometime in October. I didn't want to wait or deal with the potential of having to pay for the California emissions and then have to remove it and possibly spend more money in replacement parts, as I've had to do with other bikes in the past. As we now know, the main difference is in the carburation and my earlier concern really isn't an issue.

[This message has been edited by AllPork (edited September 25, 2001).]

T and Clark,

I think I'm gonna die! I can't stand the excitement! Do you know anyone who wants a used DRZ400? It was great to cut my teeth on. But, I think I'm ready for a little more power and agility! How much should I spend for an '02 520EXC? Thanks!

Pork,

Thx for the reply. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't in for any nasty surprises on the 400. The dealer is swearing they are getting a mess of "G"s in about a week, so I should be all set.

Rock, I'm in the same boat. Have a DRZ and love it, but I'm done with this Calif. DMV crappola. Was going to do the Vermont reg. thing, but decided to sell my Suzie to my bro up in Wash. where they don't have such a messed up system. He's happy, and I get a new pumpkin to ride for Halloween. ? I'm considering getting the DSK when I pick it up and have the dealer either run it through as a street bike (if they can or will), or sign/submit the SOF right from the start.

Crash