Sign in to follow this  

Metal shavings?

<font color="orange">Is it normal to be pulling out metal shavings with the magnetic oil drainplug? My Dad has changed the oil in his 2001 KTM 520 EXC about 8 times now and metal shavings are still coming out with the plug. There has been very little to no shavings in the oil filters.

Changing the oil today, a sliver of metal approx. 1/4" long and about the width of a small safety pin came out on the plug. This just doesn't seem that it could be normal after 8 oil changes. The piece was textured with very small lines in it, looking to me like a piece from a fiber clutch plate, but I'm not sure if the fibers have some steel in them or not. (making it possible for them to attatch to the magnet) Otherwise, I'm not sure where it could be coming from.

I understand from experience with my YZ426 that SMALL metal shavings coming out on the filter is normal but I have never seen anything that large on my oil filter.

If this is normal, even after that many oil changes, then I think I should and I will consider a magnetic oil drain plug for my YZ426.

Thanks for your help!

------------------

~YaMaHaYzFoUrTwOsIx~

I don't know if it is normal, but my 2001 400 did the same thing for about 6 months. Now I only get the black micron metal on the magnet. I have not seen any problems with the bike and it's 8 months old. I have talked to other KTM owners (two and four stroke) and there bikes have done this as well.

I agree with Otis although I haven't had any large shards come out of my RFS. Well, after the cam bearing blew up I had a couple but I expected that.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Yes I did. I got the updated bearings from KTM in nice KTM boxes. Pretty reasonable about about $9 per. Turns out, they're just standard sealed bearings I could've gotten from the local bearing house. Still, I wanted to be certain I was putting the KTM blessed bearings. Much quieter now.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

<font color="orange">Otis, approx. how many hours do you ride a month? We ride generally about 20 hours a month and he's had hid bike for about 6 months now. Thanx

------------------

~YaMaHaYzFoUrTwOsIx~