Just rode a 520 for the first time, OH..MY..GOSH

Hi Folks:

I have been in the market for a new desert racing bike for some time and from reading the posts here have pretty much decided to get the 520 EXC. Well, I was at a D-37 desert race today and rode Paul Kraus' (#1 D-37) 380 after the race. I really liked it. I then found another racer with a 520 EXC, and he was good enough to allow me to take it for a ride. I was shocked!!! I have been told in the past that it has about equal power to a CR 500, but had my doubts. Paul even said his 520 is = in a drag race to a KX 500 until they hit 4th gear. After 4th gear, the 520 walks away from the KX. He also said that he thinks he can ride his 520 faster than he can ride his 380.

I am currently riding an XR 400, and have owned an XR 600, and YZ 490, as well as some ancient bikes. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to ride a WR 426. I thought the 426 was marginally better than my XR 400.

Now that I got the chance to ride the 520, WOW!! It is FAR better in every way than any other bike I have owned or ridden, including the 426. I am now a believer that the power is = or better than a 500 cc two stroke. It feels a lot lighter than the 426, has MUCH better power and pulls from the bottom to the top. The handling is the best I have experienced.

I can't wait.

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80

Tmartin, I have to agree with you, the 520EXC is amazing!!! I think the best part about the 520 is that it feels like a little motorcycle with a huge friendly motor that is very predictable (much more than my WR426). I think if you decide to buy one you would be really happy with it.

Originally posted by Chris in the Mojave:

:D

You doubted me? :)

Hi Chris:

I hate to admit it but yes. I just found it hard to believe a 4 stroke could have as much power as a 2 stroke of the same displacement. You were right!!!

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC (soon!!!)

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80

:D

You doubted me? :)

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'00 CR250R

'01 KX85

I had an XR 400 that was all decked out and a CR 250 that was all set up for woods racing, the 520 is the best of both of these bikes combined (sort of). The only thing that can even come close is a contraption from BBR and I have allready been down that road! Not going to spend that kind of coin again. I carries its weight so low, that when it is on the side stand it looks like it is about to fall over. You can actually pull the bike onto the stand where it balances on the front wheel and the stand and it looks like a sick turned down whip and it still won't fall over. Just over all an amazing machine.... Now where did I put my red spray paint??????

Woooo Dogies I just rode my 1st 520EXC tonight and I'm going to buy it Saturday.

Tmartin I'd agree with everything you said except the WR being "marginally" better than an XR400.The two bikes are worlds apart.I've ridden both and my opinion is the Yamaha puts the Honda to sleep.My buddy has a 520EXC this is a fine machine from top to bottom.If I had the coin I'd be riding one instead of my DRZ.Man the power,boy the weight,dam the Estart,holy cow the......You get what I'm sayin.

I would say my EXC520 provides dirt bike nirvana for me.After I rode one, I had to have one. It took buying the wife a new Xterra (loaded) for me to be able to buy my 520(without a divorce), but well worth it!

------------------

2001 520EXC KTM

1974 Suzuki TM125

1977 Yamaha DT100

1984 Yamaha DT100

1977 Trail Horse minibike

1986 Honda XR350

How would the 520 shape up against the Husaberg 501. Since my DRZ was stolen that blue and yella Hussaberg really takes my fancy ?!

Wow, sounds like another disappointed rider

------------------

(AMA, Dist.36, BRC) Lifetime Memberships