Sign in to follow this  

Getting more air

I've read that a few people have cut holes in their airboxes on the 520's. Would someone mind giving me the step-by-step including the necessary parts?

Has anyone modified the airbox on a 400, and if so, was the result noticeable?

Pull your airbox cover off while riding to see if it makes a difference.

Attention!!! DANGER! DANGER! DO NOT remove the air box cover while riding, it could result in a nasty fall. Besides the damn thing is hard enough to get off when the bike is stopped.

------------------

'01 520EXC, '74 YZ520, '71 TS400, '86 XR250.

If you cut vent holes in the air-bix cover, you have to go bigger on jets, right?! Wont that lean it out too much without jetting?

I still think people are too fussy on the jeting aspect. I can't believe it would make difference that anyone but Charmichael would notice.

Elevation here, 350 MSL, when I took my bike to CA, we rode as high as I think 4k, at Glen Helen, Elsinore, and Comp Park (at least 3500 MSL) She was a little harder to start, (2 kicks, not 1) and I got backfires when starting, and sometimes under decel....but I mean, it didn't make a difference. Unless you're top gear, WIDE OPEN the whole time....power shouldn't be a concern. My opinion.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523