Sign in to follow this  

Anyone swiched from a WR400 to a 400EXC ?

As a light weight (128 lbs and 5 foot 8)I often have to 'fight' with the bike in some muddy tigh uphill and downhill zigzag you know what i mean stuff.

Off course i know that a 200exc would be more efficient in my case but i like the power of a 400, just for the fun.

In fact my question is : does the 400EXC feel lighter and more handy than the WR ? Or isn't there a significant difference.

Thanks for your input

------------------

'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed

I came from a 98 WR to a 520exc. Not even a comparison - the 520 feels like a bicycle compared to the WR. I always felt a little awkward in hard situations with the WR but never even think about it with the 520. I know it only weighs 8 lbs less according to my scales but it feels like 30 to me. From what I hear the 400 is even better because the power is less abrupt (although the 520 is much more mellow than the WR400 was).

I am 6' 165lb.

Mathew

I switched from a 98 WR 400 to an 02 400 exc. It's lighter, turns quicker, I think the seat height is lower too. It's definitly easier to ride.

I had a 2000 WR400F and HATED every minute of ownership. I took a test ride on a 2001 400EXC on a Sunday and had one in my garage the following Wed. The KTM feels 30lbs lighter, handles better, lower seat height and we wont even get into the e-start...

as i'm over this side i'm gonna be real sweet and say that i rode an EXC 2001 model and really liked it.

i've done so much work to my WZ '99er and it's the equal now of a standard out of the shop machine EXC 400.

because i run a standard street tailpipe it sounds like a sewing machine next to a tractor so all sensual comparisons went AWOL.

if i was to do the carb mods from my WZ to a katoom i think i'd have one beast of a machine.

but i just love tinkering and the yams always need plenty of that.

happy hunting!

Taffy

I have a 99 WR 400 (no mods) and an 01 400 EXC. (no mods) Since getting the EXC, I rode the Yamaha once and have no desire to ever ride it again. I have been riding dirt bikes for more than 20 years, so this is not a spur of the moment thing.. hope that helps.

The 400 EXC sure is a surprise bike. It is a bike that anyone, absolutly ANYONE can ride. It is so smooth and forgiving, my mum could get on one! I thought the 520 was a 400 with power that only a few people could use. But, like the 400, its super, super smooth. I went on a organised KTM backed ride and there was a new 520 there for people to try out. No one came back without a smile on their face. Everyone loved the thing, from beginners to the pros. The only real complaint was the surfboard seat!

Thanks for your input guys.

i think i know what will be my next thumper.

By the way are there any carb mods to do on the 400exc ?

Ride hard

Ynahg

------------------

'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed

I have both a 2000 WR and a 2002 KTM 400 exc i like my Yamy for semi moto, and the KTM for my woods weapon, i will keep both they both are very well made machines.

Now my 12 year old boy rides my KTM so i guess it is really his bike now and he just came off a ttr 125L and yes anybody can ride the KTM.

------------------

2002 KTM 400 exc

2000 WR400F

2000 EC 300

2000 TTR 125L

2000 TTR 90

1999 750 Katana

# 1

Sounds like the 400 is the favorite over the 520. Is anyone sorry they didn't go for the 520?

Adam, future EXC owner

{WR250F - For Sale}

Past Rides: XR600

KLX650

WR400F

and so on...

adam , i think the 520 would be a blast on

the 2-tracks in northern michigan , but

might be a bit much on the tight single-

track stuff .

I'm thinking the 400 would turn like my WR250 and pull thru the gears like my old XR600. I really like the idea of a six speed trans,low enough for single lines, and tall enough for the ride home.

Adam

WR250F

Originally posted by adamwagar:

Is anyone sorry they didn't go for the 520?

I'm not! I just don't need any more power. The power and power delivery of the 400 is perfect for the riding I do.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Originally posted by Ynahg:

As a light weight (128 lbs and 5 foot 8)I often have to 'fight' with the bike in some muddy tigh uphill and downhill zigzag you know what i mean stuff.

Off course i know that a 200exc would be more efficient in my case but i like the power of a 400, just for the fun.

In fact my question is : does the 400EXC feel lighter and more handy than the WR ? Or isn't there a significant difference.

Thanks for your input

it depends on wether your wr400 had the big or small motocross tank fitted . If it had the MX tank you won't notice that much of a difference in handeling, but what you will notice is suspension that cant match that of the yam without work on it.I had a 2000 WR and now own a 2002 KTM.

------------------