EXC engine vs. LC4 engine

At the end of last February I traded my WR400F into a new KTM Adventure, last year’s model, though. This was mostly because I thought that an LC4 Enduro or Adventure would be more suitable for dual sporting. I’ve been quite pleased with the bike. It doesn’t feel as heavy as one might think (dry weight 156 kg) and it is generally good to ride on trails and gravel roads.

But I’m not satisfied with the engine. It should have more power but even worse problem seems to be its durability. Approximately at 5000 km balancer shaft bearing broke. That could be just bad luck but I’ve read about other bearing problems (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ktm/message/3234). Now at 12000 something’s broken again. Probably the clutch or something from the gearbox. I’ll be taking it to the importer. It should be fixed under warranty.

I’ve been thinking of trading it into a new (2002) or this years model 520 EXC. Will I make another mistake? Should I go for a WR? I tested a 01 520 and it sure felt great. It was light, just like the WR and the engine had a great power. But how long will it last? I’ve done or had done all necessary maintenance and yet I have these problems.

What experiences EXC owners have had? Both 520 and 400. Has anyone had more than 10000 km (~6200 mi) dual sporting? 99 WR did 13000 km without any major problems except some jetting difficulties that most WR owners are familiar with.

Ande

[This message has been edited by Ande (edited October 01, 2001).]