What muffler do you 520 guys run?

I like the sound of the stock muffler, but it is real heavy. I figured I could shave a few pounds off my bike with a different muffler, so if anyone has any good stories about VOLUME/HORSEPOWER GAIN, let's hear em'.

Everyone knows the 520 needs more power :)

I just picked up a Pro Circuit T4 silencer.

It's probably a good 3 pounds lighter than stock. It sounds slightly louder than stock.

I'm going riding on Friday, so I'll post then and let you know if I feel any difference in power.

I just put a White Brothers R-4 on my 01 520EXC and it made a good gain in power and an increase in noise, but I like it alot :)

Stock

------------------

(AMA, Dist.36, BRC) Lifetime Memberships

Running Stock.

I have contemplated cutting about 3-4 inches off the top, but I doubt I will. I like a stock setup.

Quiet, and fast....ultimate combo.

Too bad I couldn't hear if my bike had started or not this past sunday in the Hare Scramble.....those stinking 250f's, 426's, and annoying buzzy two strokes!!! I kicked her, she fired, but it idles so smoothly and quietly, I couldn't tell if she had indeed fired!!! Even when I revved it a little!! Only lost about a second or two off the line, so I wasn't worried...I lose more than that when I crash :)

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Running Stock.

I have contemplated cutting about 3-4 inches off the top, but I doubt I will. I like a stock setup.

Quiet, and fast....ultimate combo.

Too bad I couldn't hear if my bike had started or not this past sunday in the Hare Scramble.....those stinking 250f's, 426's, and annoying buzzy two strokes!!! I kicked her, she fired, but it idles so smoothly and quietly, I couldn't tell if she had indeed fired!!! Even when I revved it a little!! Only lost about a second or two off the line, so I wasn't worried...I lose more than that when I crash :)

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Truthfully speaking, the standard pipe is the best. Years of engineering has gone into research & development of the standard pipe and even though there are a lot of pipes on the market, the standard pipe is still the best money. Another very good pipe is a Yoshi. These pipes do out perform the standard pipe but are very expensive. Australia boasts another pipe which I believe is second to none. Its called a staintune and as the name suggests, is made from quality stainless. Its cheaper than the Yoshi and has a good all-round performance. Check out the pipe at www.staintune.com for further info.

Regards

Mick Wharton

KTM Trail Tours - Australia www.ktmtours.com.au

I'm running the KTM Hard Equipment SX pipe. The fit and finish are second to none and it is somewhat louder than stock when really hammering it, but I have not heard anything else on a RFS to compare it with. It is not 1/2 as loud as those "blue bikes" are with pipes.

Hey guys. I have one of those "blue bikes" that you are referring to but I retrofitted a 400/520 exc muffler on to it. It's lots lighter than the stock Yammie muffler but a whole heck of alot quieter than the stock WR pipe with the restrictor out. The bike is dual sported so it has to be quiet but I like it quiet on the trails too.

Jim

I'm running a Big Gun system and can't say anything bad. The quiet core works and the the noise level is <94dB

Peter

Hey peter:

How much of a power difference did you notice with the Big Gun Exhaust. i've heard they do really well...

Hi Thumper,

Originally posted by Thumper33:

Hey peter:

How much of a power difference did you notice with the Big Gun Exhaust. i've heard they do really well...

Let me take it this way: I don't feel any powerloss but the whole bike runs different.

The silencer with the quiet core makes the bike smoother and easier to ride but still has enough power for holeshots.

The race core silencer together with the OCEMN needle and a smaller main jet (actually #168) totally rips. I was wondering why I put in the front wheel on my last ride on Saturday (only a short ride through the streets). On Wed I'll ride on our local cross track to check the performance in the dirt but I think it will be more than enough for the most of us...

Peter

Hi guys,

yesterday I talked with Mike Young and he told me that there'll be a John Dowd series pipe available. It'll look like this http://www.biggunexhaust.com/working%20files/rawimages/600/DSC_1879.jpg but will have a titanium pipe with a titanium core. I don't know the price yet but I'm trying to get one...

Peter

[This message has been edited by PeterEXC520 (edited October 08, 2001).]