Sign in to follow this  

400 vs 520...

If the 520 is the same weight as the 400 and only $300 more, then why do people buy the 400? Is the 520 just too much power?

I'm just doing research for purchasing my next bike. Wondering... Pondering... Figuring...

------------------

2000 WR400F - Throttle stop shortened, Grey Wire Cut, Filter Cover Removed, Panoram Computer. MNevitt@OffroadToyStore.com . Feel Free to chat: Yahoo IM nevitt33, AOL IM Nevitt 33

Depends on what you prefer. The 400 is an awesome woods bike. Perfect power and they don't tire you out. The 520 has a lot more power. That can be a good thing or bad thing, or both. I've learned that having a lot more power than I can use just gets me in trouble and tires me out. I understand the 520 doesn't have the brutal hit of the Yamaha 4xx's but I'll stay with my 400.

Another consideration, especailly since you live in CO, is altitude. I understand bikes loose power the higher they go so the 520 might make for a better bike for the mountains.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

In the open country out west...way out west like the Mojave, the 520 is great, plenty of power and compared to other bikes I've owned ( YZ400 and CR500 ) I find the 520 very easy to ride and not tiring. IMHO the 520 is hard to beat in open country.

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

Chris in the Mojave. Where do you buy your KTMs?? I am selling a 426 and will buy a 520EXC so have started checking around. I ride a lot at Dove Springs in the winter.