EXC vs MXC

The only differences I can find between the two models is that the EXC give you the headlight/taillight combo, and the MXC gives you a larger tank and takes away the lighting. Are the any other differences I'm missing?

------------------

2000 WR400F - Throttle stop shortened, Grey Wire Cut, Filter Cover Removed, Panoram Computer. MNevitt@OffroadToyStore.com . Feel Free to chat: Yahoo IM nevitt33, AOL IM Nevitt 33

The MXC tranny is close ratio is the other major difference. Given it's a 6 speed and the fact that gears are not that much different in the RFS line, I would not let that sway your decision, though.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Contrary to jeb - I would let it sway your decision depending on how you want to use your bike. If your looking for a bike that can have a usable first gear and still run out to 90+ on the top the EXC should be your choice. If you ride in only woods or MX and top speed isn't an issue then the close ratio of the MXC may better suit you.

Good luck,

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

So the EXC is a wider ratio? The KTM web site calls them both close ratio, that's why I was confused.

I think the MXC will top out at 90+ and I understand the EXC to be on or near 100 with stock gearing. Way too fast for both.

I've got the MXC and I love the range the big tank gives me, have a lighting coil if I needed it, and a far as the tranny is concerned I've NO intentions of dual sporting this bike. So the closr ratio works perfect for me. If you want dual sport the EXC is the obvious choice, for pure off road fun, I would go with the MXC. Just my 2 cents.

'02 MXC 520

'72 Z50

'72 GMC Suburban

Jason

Well I definitely am going to have it on the streets since I don't have a trailer or a place to put one: I dual sport to get to the trails near Denver. I need a lighting system so it seem that the EXC is the right choice for me. I'll just have to get a larger tank for it. Does the MXC tank fit the EXC?

Yes, the mxc tank fits the exc.

Mark

The mxc still has the lighting coil like the exc you just have to plug in lights.

so it's either buy a new tank for the EXC or lights for the MXC. Although I think the wide-ratio tranny really makes the EXC worth it for those that are going to dual sport. I just don't get it why they'd put a smaller tank on an enduro. Don't most comanies put a larger tank on? Like the WR and the XR...

Yes, the EXC is wider ratio. Just not a lot wider than the MXC in the RFS line. If top speed or dual sporting are concerns, then, as TBob says, it should be a condsideration. I had to drop the gearing from 14:50 to 13:52 but my EXC has prefect gearing for me for woods work now.

Clarke makes a 3.1 gallon tank now for the RFS that is probably a lot thinner than the MXC tank is. Much less expensive if buying new, too.

I think everyone is scratching their heads over the smaller tank on the EXC. Having owned an MXC tank for one ride, I'm glad the bike I own came with the smaller tank, though. Much easier to stay forward and noticeably thinner at the seat tank junction with the EXC tank.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

When you get your bike just post that you would like to swap your EXC tank for an MXC

that's what I did. There are alot of guys back east that like the close spaced box for

woods riding and don't need the range and would rather have the slimness of an EXC setup.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

I battled this question when I was looking to buy a bike and decided to wait for the EXC - primarily because of the 1st gear ratios. I learned that 1st gear on the MXC is 23% to 25% (I forget the exact spec) taller than 1st gear on an EXC. I do a lot of tight single-track riding in the woods and need a low first gear sometimes - and I was told that you had to change to a 13/52 setup on the MXC to get close to the 1st gear of an EXC. I'm glad I got the EXC because 1st gear is perfect and I can even go down a bit more if I need to.

I'm sure it's just 'cause we all love our bikes buuuuttt...( humor impaired stop reading now.)

Since a few EXC guys seem to need to bad mouth the MXC...I think a little good natured defence is in order.....

All the EXC guys are always looking for more fuel, the MXC comes with the big tank. MINES BIGGER!!!!

First gear on the MXC is plenty low for nasty single track in western conditions. I ride PLENTY of VEEEEEERY nasty single track and it is PLENTY low enough...was I clear on that? wink.gif Oh, and the way, first gear on the MXC is plenty low enough for tight single track. If I lived in the trees or ...who knows?

WHO RIDES IN FIRST! GO FASTER!!! grin.gif

I don't ride at night or plan on Duel sporting my bike so lights are just baggage....

Duel Sport? GET A HONDA! wink.gif

Top gear on the MXC is good for about 90 mph, if you need to run faster than that off road....you're some guy named Destry or have a death wish. Exc's are good for 100 plus...if that's important to you off road then your choice is clear.

WRITE ME INTO YOUR WILL PLEASE!

Like a little MOTO or GP as well? The gear ratios of the MXC are the same as the SX 1-4.

REAL MEN MOTO!

The MXC is a capable machine. MXC/EXC? It just depends on your needs. grin.gif

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited October 17, 2001).]

YEAH..WHAT HE SAID.

Wait a second, I got the EXC, don't listen to him, the EXC is better. Although my shoulders sure hurt from carrying all that extra gas in by backpack, and I don't recall ever using first last weekend. Alright then, YEAH WHAT HE SAID smile.gif

Bow to the mighty Destry, if the KX 500 had an electric start i just might....

Originally posted by Chris in the Mojave:

I'm sure it's just 'cause we all love our bikes buuuuttt...( humor impaired stop reading now.)

Since a few EXC guys seem to need to bad mouth the MXC...I think a little good natured defence is in order.....

All the EXC guys are alway looking for more fuel, the MXC comes with the big tank. MINES BIGGER!!!!

First gear on the MXC is plenty low for nasty single track in western conditions. I ride PLENTY of VEEEEEERY nasty single track and it is PLENTY low enough...was I clear on that? wink.gif Oh, and the way, first gear on the MXC is plenty low enough for tight single track. If I lived in the trees or ...who knows?

WHO RIDES IN FIRST! GO FASTER!!! grin.gif

I don't ride at night or plan on Duel sporting my bike so lights are just baggage....

Duel Sport? GET A HONDA! wink.gif

Top gear on the MXC is good for about 90 mph, if you need to run faster than that off road....you're some guy named Destry or have a death wish. Exc's are good for 100 plus...if that's important to you off road then your choice is clear.

WRITE ME INTO YOUR WILL PLEASE!

Like a little MOTO or GP as well? The gear ratios of the MXC are the same as the SX 1-4.

REAL MEN MOTO!

The MXC is a capable machine. MXC/EXC? It just depends on your needs. grin.gif

------------------

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

On my 02 520 EXC I changed the final drive from 14/48 to 13/48 and I still use all the gears on the bike. Top speed droped from around 100 to 92 as measured by my Trail Tech computer.

In the tight stuff I use first occasionaly, second and third a lot and forth occasionaly. I'm happy with the tranny ratio as I did street the bike and dual sport alot. For me the EXC was a excellent choice. For Chris in the Mojave I can see how the more open terrain and not having a dual sprot requirement would make the MXC a great choice for him.

As a side note I run both the MXC and EXC tanks depending on where and how far my ride will be.

I'm running the KTM optionl fan kit which works great but will not fit when using either the IMS or Clarke 3.1 gallon tanks.

Cheers

Clark

For those of you that don't know....

Clark and I have both been through our Yamathumper stage and have ended up here in KTM land....

We're very lucky to have Clark on the RFS board....He loves fast toys and is a good guy....for a duel sporter wink.gif LOL!!!

HE WILL experiment with every mod possable and then share what he's learned with us! grin.gif

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited October 15, 2001).]

Yeah, Clark will experiment with anything. He even has the MXC and EXC tanks on his bike. Whats that about 5 1/2 gallons?:)

------------------

01 400 MXC

00 XR400

Can I borrow some ones sense of humor? I think my wife took mine to work with her!

Oh well.

Maybe she'll let me play with it when she gets home. Uhhh, what did I just mean by that?

Has any one seen the new Britney Spears video?........Man I wish she would get home with that sense of humor...I am dying here.