used 400exc questions?

any suggestions on what to look for when purchasing a used 400exc? where can you find parts online like brake pads, bearings, oil fliters and things like that?

The 00's had smaller radiators than the 01's and newer so they may have a bit more tendency to overheat. The forks in '00 were new to KTM and were reportedly not the greatest but they can be fixed. The 01's and newer are much better, IMO.

Ask about any waterpump leakage and/or camshaft bearing failures. Somewhat unusual problems but certinaly not unheard of. You can see if the WP is leaking by looking at the shifter side of the cylinder with the bike up to tempature. Coolant would be coming down the side of the cyl.

KTM's make a fair amount of engine noise so don't let that scare you off. If it has a skid pan, it'll be even more noticeable. Most of the noise should go away with the clutch lever pulled in.

Parts are very commonly available. Most large mail order houses like Dennis Kirk, Chaparall, etc. carry most of the stuff. A great place to get KTM stuff is Mike Kruger at Cycle Zone KTM in Topeka, KS. Toll free at 866-843-7433. Free shipping on orders over $50, too.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

i've got a barely-used '01 400 exc for sale in memphis, extremely low hours, lots of extras, priced to go. let me know if interested.

Hey lawman, how much are you asking for it?

and what's your phone #?

I've got a 00 wr400 to sale, but if the price is right I might could buy it first!

------------------

2000 wr400f ims yz tank, sdg yz seat,gpr stablizer,pro taper bars,p38 ligthning acc pump cover ,acerdis hand guard, fmf power core 4 Q pipe

hey rob, i'm asking 5600$ US if i don't have to ship it. it has very low hours, has been trail ridden several times & raced in 1 hare scramble. it has a shark fin, bark busters, radiator guards, clutch protector, enduro engineering clutch lever, renthal grips, good tires, heavy springs, tall soft seat foam (too soft,imo), stainless steel oil filters, 50t rear sprocket, scott's damper setup (no damper or pin), & an extra set of new shrouds. i bought it almost new from a trail rider in the spring, but i have other bikes & i haven't had time to ride this 1 like i thought i would & i could use some cash. it is a nice, almost new ride, everything works perfectly. as it happens, i'll be going near your area this weekend to go to an enduro in clanton. my daytime phone is 901-523-0400, evening is 901-278-3934. let me know if you are interested. thanks! john branson