Sign in to follow this  

Engine Noise

I have about 150 miles on my '01 520exc and this weekend it started making a new noise only when hot. It sounds like a bearing going, it is only heard when under way (by that I mean not made at idle), and diminishes when the clutch is pulled in. I did put on a skid plate this weekend and understand that reflects a lot of engine noise. My local mechanic says oh it is just the clutch; a lot of them make that noise. Am I crazy to worry about it?

------------------

For me a double means getting both wheels off the ground.

'01 520EXC

'99 YZ400F

'87 LT500 Quadzilla (lots of chrome dune pimp)

'73 Yamaha 250 enduro

'92 Fantic 270

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING THE FIRST RIDE AFTER PUTTING ON A SKID PLATE ON MY 400. THE MOTOR (CLUTCH) IS ALOT MORE NOISY WITH THE PLATE ON. NOW MINE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT GETTING HOT. IT IS THE CLUTCH AND YOU WILL GET USED TO IT SOON. I NOTICED A REVERBERATING SOUND AFTER PUTTING THE PLATE ON AND YOU COULD ONLY HEAR IT WHILE MOVING AND THE SOUND WOULD GO AWAY WHEN YOU PULLED THE CLUTCH IN. YOU CAN ALSO FIX THIS PROBLEM BY INSTALLING A T-4 PIPE ON YOUR 520. HOW THIS FIXES THE PROBLEM IS YOU CAN NO LONGER HERE YOUR ANYTHING BUT YOUR LOUD PIPE. GOOD LUCK DAN

Normal noise nothing to worry about

------------------

TWIST&SHOUT

Remove the skid plate and compare. It's quite a difference. After I fixed my cam bearings I left the skid plate off because I knew I was going to change oil {b]a LOT[/b] for a while. The engine was so quiet I couldn't believe it. When I put the skid plate back on, most of the noise came back.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)