2002 520 EXC smoking?!

Hey guys! I've been reading this forum for quite a while and have been enlightened on many subjects.

I bought my first KTM (2002 520 EXE)approx 3 weeks ago....AWESOME!

A friend of mine has a 01 520 EXE and last week I noticed that on STEEP downhills, sometimes, his bike started smoking terribly for sometime and engine oil was apparently leaking from the exhaust junction at the carb area!

I told him that he probably overfilled the crankcase but he said that he had not.

This past weekend MY bike did the same thing although I did not see any oil seeping from the exhaust area. I KNOW my oil level was correct. But I checked my oil level now and it was low. (not viewable through the sightglass).

I have sealed the bolt above the sightglass and have no run problems at all, nor does he.

Neither one of us has any other visible oil leaks. I suspect the breather tube, which is routed to the back of the carb, is somehow filling with engine oil and causing this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution to remedy this?? It is quite embarrassing to have a 2002 bike with about 150 miles on it smoking this badly!!

Thanks

------------------

2002 EXC 520

1998 WR 400

1999 FXDX

Correction, that should be EXC!!!

Take it to your dealer while it is still on warranty

There is a crankcase vent that runs from the front right of the motor to the carb. When you go down steep hills oil gets into the hose and is sucked into the engine thru the carb causing the smoke.There are two cures to the problem. 1.drill a hole in the air box install a vacuum fitting and reroute the hose there.Plug the fitting on the carb.2. Buy a crankcase breather filter install at the end of the hose and reroute up under the tank,there is a good place in between the coil and the steering stem.Plug the fitting in the carb.A side affect to this mod is that it increases low end alittle bit.

Good info. I wonder why they didn't fix this the right way at the factory. Seems like it would have been an easy fix since bikes have had crankcase vents for years. Anyone seen this as a problem on the 03s?

Originally posted by Thunder:

Good info. I wonder why they didn't fix this the right way at the factory. Seems like it would have been an easy fix since bikes have had crankcase vents for years. Anyone seen this as a problem on the 03s?

Good question.

Hey jeb, can you enlighten us as to how the crank case vent is routed on your '03?

Thanks,

Crash